Manitharil Ithanai Nirangalah!
Manitharil Ithanai Nirangala! (transl. Are there so many shades in a person!) is a 1978 Indian Tamil-language film directed by R. C. Sakthi and starring Kamal Haasan and Sridevi. The film was released on Diwali 1978.
|Manitharil Ithanai Nirangala!|
|Directed by||R. C. Sakthi|
|Written by||R. C. Sakthi|
|Story by||Govi. Ilangovan|
|Edited by||N. Maheswara Rao|
This movie marked the Tamil debut for Murali Mohan. Shyam's musical score features a couple of hit songs – "Ponne Boomiyadi" and "Mazhai tharumo En megam".
Later in 1980, K. Satyam remade the film in Telugu-language as Patnam Pilla, It was a partial remake of Manidharil Ithanai Nirangala. A few scenes were remade in Telugu with Telugu actors like Mohan Babu and the rest of the movie was dubbed. Patnam Pilla was released on 29 February 1980.
Santha (Sridevi) is an orphaned young woman who tries to find a job in Madras to survive. She is exploited by a crook and is mistakenly dubbed by the police as a sex worker. She returns to her native village and starts living with her old friend Devaki (Sathyapriya). Devaki's husband is the belligerent but soft-hearted Velu (Kamal Haasan) who runs a cycle-repair shop. Santha relishes her life in the village with Devaki and Velu but things take a turn when the village station-master Mohan (Murali Mohan) falls in love with her. Santha is reluctant to reciprocate due to her past which also returns to haunt her in the form of the inspector who had once arrested her in Madras and is now transferred to her village and also through Mohan's father (Major Sundarrajan) who had once encountered her in a dubious situation. Whether Santha is able to transcend her unpleasant past and restore normalcy in her life forms the rest of the story.
|1||"Mazhai Tharumo En Megam"||Kannadasan||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. P. Sailaja|
|2||"Ponne Boomiyadi"||S. Janaki, Vani Jairam|
- "Tamil director R.C Sakthi passes away". The Hindu. 22 February 2015. Retrieved 9 October 2020.
- Jeshi, K. (1 November 2013). "Released on Deepavali". The Hindu. Retrieved 15 October 2020.
- "கமலுக்கு 'சிகப்பு ரோஜாக்கள்' - ரஜினிக்கு 'தாய் மீது சத்தியம்' - மேலும் கமலுக்கு 4 ; ரஜினிக்கு 2". Hindu Tamil Thisai (in Tamil). Retrieved 15 October 2020.
- Nayak, Satyarth (2019). Sridevi: The Eternal Screen Goddess. Penguin Random House. ISBN 9789353056780.
- Balasubramanian, V. (9 June 2016). "Of song and spirit". The Hindu. Retrieved 9 October 2020.