Mango, Abuela, and Me
Mango, Abuela, and Me is a 2015 children's book written by Meg Medina and illustrated by Angela Dominguez. It was first published on August 25, 2015 through Candlewick Press and was a 2016 Belpré Honor Book. While writing the book Medina drew upon her experiences growing up with her grandmother Abuela Bena.
|Awards||Pura Belpré Author Award Honor Book|
Pura Belpré Illustrator Award Honor Book
|Preceded by||Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass|
|Followed by||Burn Baby Burn|
Mia's grandmother (Abuela) has come to the city to live with Mia and her family. Her arrival is met with a language barrier between Mia and Abuela, as Abuela does not speak English and Mia has only a rudimentary knowledge of Spanish. Initially the two are unable to really connect, however as time progresses the two begin to learn each other's language by labeling each item in the house in their respective languages. Eventually Mia purchases a colorful parrot for her grandmother, which helps the two form an even stronger bond.
Critical reception for the book has been positive. The New York Times wrote a favorable review for Mango, Abuela, and Me, praising Dominquez's illustrations. Publishers Weekly and Booklist also praised the work, with Booklist comparing it to Matt de la Peña’s Last Stop on Market Street.
- Alice. "Congratulations to the 2016 ALA Award Winners!". Vamos a Leer. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- Medina, Meg. "The Writer's Page: On Writing the American Familia". The Horn Book. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- "Reviews of the 2016 Belpré Illustrator Award winners - The Horn Book". The Horn Book. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- Stevenson, Deborah (2015). "Mango, Abuela, and Me by Meg Medina (review)". Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books (subscription required). 69 (3): 156–157. Retrieved March 20, 2016.
- Russo, Maria (2015-09-23). "Bookshelf: Double the Delight". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- "Children's Book Review: Mango, Abuela, and Me by Meg Medina, illus. by Angela Dominguez". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- Chaudhri, Amina. Mango, Abuela, and Me, by Meg Medina (review). Booklist.
- "Notable Children's Books - 2016". Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC). Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- Top 10 Multicultural Fiction for Youth: 2016, by Ilene Cooper. Booklist.