The Manny V. Pangilinan Cup, also known as the MVP Cup, is an international basketball tournament in the Philippines organized by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas. An earlier version of the cup, dubbed the MVP Cup Invitational Championships, was conceived in 2010 to prepare the Philippine national basketball team for FIBA-related competitions by having them compete against other national teams or top-level professional clubs.
|Most recent season or competition:|
2015 MVP Cup
Logo used since 2015.
(as the MVP Cup Invitational Championships)
|Continent||FIBA Asia (Asia)|
|Philippines (2nd title)|
|Most titles||Philippines (2 titles)|
In 2010, the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, under the leadership of Manny V. Pangilinan, organized a four-day pocket tournament to prepare the Smart Gilas Pilipinas for the 2011 FIBA Asia Championship and the 2010 Asian Games. The tournament, called MVP Cup Invitational Championships, was set from June 24 to 27, 2010 at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium. The Jordan national basketball team and the Dongguan New Century of the Chinese Basketball Association were both invited to this cup. Philippine Basketball Association clubs Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters and Barangay Ginebra Kings also participated in the event.
In 2015, the cup was revived as a pocket tournament to prepare the Philippine national basketball team for the 2015 FIBA Asia Championship at Changsha, Hunan. The tournament was held from September 11 to 13, 2015 at the Smart Araneta Coliseum. Initially, the national teams of Lebanon and Chinese Taipei and New Zealand-based Wellington Saints confirmed their participation in the event. Lebanon later withdrew from the tournament before playing a single game. The national teams China, South Korea and Senegal have also been invited to join in the tournament but did not confirmed their participation.
|Year||Host||Final||Third place game|
|Champion||Score||Second place||Third place||Score||Fourth place|
Dongguan New Century
|No playoffs|| |
Talk 'N Text
Talk 'N Text
|No playoffs|| |
|Dongguan New Century||0||0||1||1|
|Talk 'N Text||0||0||1||1|
|Barangay Ginebra Kings||5th||-||1|
|Dongguan New Century||3rd||-||1|
|Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||4th||3rd||2|
- Villar, Joey (24 June 2010). "Gilas five tests Douthit as MVP Cup unwraps". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- "PSA: MVP Invitational C'ship a litmus test for RP-Smart Gilas". Balita. 15 June 2010. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- "Basketball: 2010 MVP Invitational C'ships on Thursday". Balita. 23 June 2010. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- Villar, Joey. "Gilas five tests Douthit as MVP Cup unwraps". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- Dy, Richard (12 July 2015). "Gilas-Senegal rematch looms in MVP Cup". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "Lebanon, Chinese Taipei, New Zealand club confirmed as Gilas foes at inaugural MVP Cup". InterAksyon.com. 22 July 2015. Retrieved 22 July 2015.
- Joble, Rey (8 July 2015). "Inaugural MVP Cup set for Gilas Pilipinas as tuneup for FIBA Asia". InterAksyon.com. Archived from the original on 10 July 2015. Retrieved 10 July 2015.