With his band The Validators, Hibbett came to widespread online notice in 2000 with "Hey Hey 16K", an ode to the ZX Spectrum and other home microcomputers of the 1980s. The song gained larger acclaim when an animated music video for the track, created by Rob Manuel, was released in 2004. Hibbett later collaborated with Manuel, who directed the music video for his song "The Gay Train".
In 2004, Hibbett gained national exposure in the United Kingdom, on the Steve Lamacq show on BBC 6 Music, by regularly performing "The Fair Play Trophy (Again)", a song whose lyrics were updated for each rendition to reflect the then-ongoing events of the UEFA European Football Championship.
- Web Watch, Dave Green, The Guardian, 21 August 2003.
- The Fuzztival: Oh, what a night!, Alex Hodgson, BBC South Yorkshire, 15 November 2003.
- Hey Hey 16K song, video and history.
- The Gay Train video at YouTube.
- MJ Hibbett YouTube channel, with ukulele performances of songs including "A Million Ukeleles".