Luke Smith (politician)
Luke Smith is an Australian politician who served as the Mayor of the City of Logan, the seventh largest local government area in Australia by population. From 2006 until 2016, he was the Divisional Councillor for Logan City Council's Division 6.
|Mayor of Logan City|
|Assumed office |
13 March 2016
|Preceded by||Pam Parker|
|Logan City Councillor for |
27 March 2008 – 13 March 2016
|Succeeded by||Stacey McIntosh|
|Logan City Councillor for |
16 March 2006 – 27 March 2008
|Liberal National Party|
On 26 March 2018, Smith was arrested and charged by the Crime and Corruption Commission. The charges include two counts of perjury relating to testimony given to the Commission in 2017, one count of official corruption in his capacity as Mayor of the City of Logan, and one count of failing to properly update his register of interests.
Reported 4 April 2018 by The Courier Mail:
10 Councillors attended a confidential meeting days after Mayor Smiths' arrest, in which 8 out 10 agreed to formally ask him to stand aside. Acting Deputy Mayor Trevina Schwarz confirmed the "vast majority" of Councillors decided to "make a formal request to the Mayor to stand aside for a period of three months pending the proceedings."
"We asked him to consider that over the Easter weekend." she said.
"He has come back to the Councillors, and I have passed that message on, that we give him the liberty of this week to consider that request from the Councillors and respectfully we will do so."
While on bail pending the resolution of corruption charges, on 1 May 2019 Smith was further charged with a number of offences including middle-range drink driving, driving without due care and attention, and breaching his bail conditions after an alleged motor vehicle accident. Police held Smith in custody following the alleged incident.
- "2016 Logan City Council - Mayoral Election - Election Summary". Electoral Commission of Queensland. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Mayor and Councillors". Logan City Council. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Statistics & Facts". Logan City Council. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Mayor Luke Smith". Logan City Council. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Rankin - Results 2010". ABC Elections. Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC). Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Logan mayor Luke Smith charged with corruption by the CCC". Fairfax Media. Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- "Logan Mayor Luke Smith Charged by the Crime and Corruption Commission". The Courier Mail. News Corp Australia. Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- "Logan Mayor Luke Smith charged by Queensland corruption watchdog". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- "Disgraced Logan City Council Mayor charged after alleged drink-driving crash". Nine News Queensland. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- "Logan mayor allegedly crashed into tree, charged with drunk driving". Brisbane Times. Retrieved 2 May 2019.