Minchin in 2012
Louise Mary Grayson
8 September 1968
|Education||University of St. Andrews|
BBC News at One
The One Show
David Minchin (m. 1998)
|Children||Scarlett and Mia|
Minchin was born Louise Mary Grayson in 1968 in British Hong Kong to a Major in the Irish Guards of the British Army. She was educated at St Mary's School, Ascot, and has a degree in Spanish from the University of St Andrews. She subsequently studied journalism at the London College of Communication.
Minchin has worked for the Latin American section of the BBC World Service during a year in Argentina, the Today programme, Five and various local radio stations. In 2006 she toured the country in a converted bus meeting England fans as part of the World Cup coverage for BBC News.
She started work for Radio 5 Live in 1998, and married David Minchin the same year. She presented many of the station's main programmes, including Drive and Breakfast. Between September 2003 and April 2012, she was a regular BBC News Channel presenter, initially working alongside Jon Sopel from 7 pm to 10 pm. Minchin then presented the 2 pm to 5 pm slot, also with Sopel, sharing this shift with Emily Maitlis. She was also one of the main relief presenters for the BBC News at One until April 2012.
In 2006 and 2007, Minchin was a relief presenter on BBC Breakfast while Kate Silverton covered for main anchor Sian Williams. After Williams returned, she continued to co-host the programme, and from May 2009 until April 2012 was the regular weekend presenter of the show. In December 2011 the BBC announced that Minchin would replace Williams as a main presenter of BBC Breakfast along with Bill Turnbull and Charlie Stayt when the programme moved to Salford—the first edition was presented on Tuesday 10 April 2012.
From 21 April 2008 Minchin presented a weekday programme called Missing Live along with Rav Wilding. The programme was shown at 9:15 am after BBC Breakfast on BBC One and ran for 4 weeks. The show returned for a second four-week run from 16 March 2009, and again in March 2010, highlighting both new cases and those previously featured with updates.
In April 2010 Minchin co-presented The One Show for a week alongside Chris Hollins while regular hosts Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley were unavailable. She covered again when the show returned in July 2010 for two weeks alongside Matt Baker and one episode with Matt Allwright.
Minchin and Gethin Jones presented the documentary series Crime and Punishment, which began on BBC One on 12 March 2012.
For a time from November 2012, Minchin was a co-presenter of Radio 5 Live's Drive programme with Peter Allen. She often stands in as the main presenter of BBC Radio 4's daily consumer programme You and Yours.
She is an amateur triathlete, and qualified as a member of the 2015 Great Britain Age-Group Triathlon Team (45–49 age group). She competed in the standard distance event (1500m swim, a 40 km bike ride and a 10 km run) at the World Triathlon Championships in Chicago on 19 September 2015. She qualified for the team at the Dambuster Triathlon at Rutland Water on 15 June 2015. She went on to finish 71st out of 78 finishers at the ITU World Triathlon Championships.
She has also taken part in "Around the World in 80 days" for Children in Need.
- From marriage record
- Louise Minchin BBC Newswatch
- Louise MInchin BBC Breakfast presenters
- "BBC Breakfast presenter Louise Minchin on leaving London behind for a new life in Chester". cheshirelife.co.uk. 11 November 2012. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "BBC Breakfast presenter Louise Minchin interviewing the Macabees about Elephant and Castle". bbc.co.uk/news. 4 August 2015. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Newsreader Louise Minchin lands BBC Breakfast sofa spot Nicola Methven, Daily Mirror, 9 December 2011
- "BBC – BBC Breakfast first broadcast MediaCityUK – Media Centre". Retrieved 16 November 2016.
- Chris Hollins to stand in for Adrian Chiles on The One Show The Mirror, 9 April 2010
- "Meet the Celebrity MasterChef 2016 contestants". Retrieved 16 November 2016.
- Bullock, Andrew (17 May 2016). "'It needs improvement' Celebrity MasterChef contestant Louise Minchin says she can't cook". Retrieved 16 November 2016.
- "Honoraries – About – University of Chester". Retrieved 16 November 2016.
- Byrne, Paul (11 April 2013). "BBC presenter Louise Minchin says life in North is miles better than the South". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "BBC's Louise Minchin qualifies for ITU World Triathlon Championships in Chicago". Retrieved 16 November 2016.
- "2015 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final Chicago : Sep 19 2015 : 45–49 Female AG : Results". International Triathlon Union. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "Episode 4, Around the World in 80 Days – BBC One". Retrieved 16 November 2016.
| Deputy Presenter of BBC News at One
| Deputy Female Presenter of BBC Breakfast
| Main Female Presenter of BBC Breakfast
2014 – present