This article may lend undue weight to certain ideas, incidents, or controversies. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Southfield College was founded as Loreto College in Darjeeling in August 1961 as a women's college. At the request of the government of West Bengal, the Irish Branch of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Darjeeling Loreto Educational Society agreed to take care of its management. However, due to the lack of personnel, the Loreto nuns were compelled to hand over the college to the government of West Bengal, hence to be run as Southfield College.
|Motto||Enlightenment, Empowerment and Emancipation through Education|
|Type||Accredited by NAAC with Grade 'A' | A Women's College with Degree Course|
|Principal||Dr. Anuradha Rai|
|Affiliations||University of North Bengal|
- ==== GENERAL ====
- Political Science or Sociology
- History or Education
- Nepali or English or Hindi Elective
- EVS (Compulsory)
Part One (1st yr.): Honours Students take the following subjects:
- Honours Subjects (Two Papers)
- Compulsory EVS
- Two Elective subjects (Three Half Papers each)
- Students admitted in Language Departments cannot take language as elective subject.
Part One (1styr.): General Students take the following subjects
- Compulsory EVS
- Three Elective subjects (Three Half Papers each)
==== CAREER ORIENTED PROGRAMME (COP) - AFFILIATED TO NORTH BENGAL UNIVERSITY ====
- Communicative English - Rs. 1600/-per course (payable in two installments)
- Women's Studies - Rs. 1300/-per course (payable in two installment
- Mass Com. & Journalism - Rs. 2000/-per course (payable in two installments)
- Eco-Tourism Management - Rs. 2000/- per course (payable in two installments) This is an add-on, skill oriented programme initiated by UGC in collaboration with the University in order to make higher education knowledge skill based. At the end of each year they would have to appear for a written/oral/practical examination set by North Bengal University.
- Free Remedial Teaching and Entry Into Services coaching aimed at preparing them for various competitive examinations are provided to the students. The scheme is sponsored by the UGC.
- Self Defence Class : Self-defence classes will be conducted 3 times a week by professional black belt instructor before college hours.
- Fitness and Aerobics: The College has a gymnasium with fitness gadgets.
- Yoga and Meditation : Yoga and Meditation for overall well being and better concentration will be carried out on specific days of a week.
- Ethics class : To impart good values to students for a holistic development, Ethics class will be conducted once a week.
The name of the college magazine is Contextures. The magazine has contents in English, Nepali, Bengali and Hindi, which helps to bring out the literary skills of the students.
- "Southfield college brief history". Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- "Loreto College is Southfield - Teachers hope legacy will continue". The Telegraph. 17 June 2008. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- "Students corner". Retrieved 12 May 2012.