London Lions (speedway)
The London Lions were a motorcycle speedway team that operated for one season during the 1996 Premier League speedway season from the Hackney Wick Stadium, the former home of the Hackney Hawks and the Hackney Kestrels.
|Track address||Hackney Wick Stadium|
|Team manager||Colin Pratt|
|Team captain||Leigh Adams|
|Colours||Blue and Yellow|
|Track size||345 yards (315 m)|
They finished the season in ninth place (out of nineteen) but because the stadium had been newly modernised and the track was not as good as when it was held there previously, crowds were not as high as was hoped for. Speedway had barely returned in 1995 (for the British Grand Prix) when it was announced that the Stadium had passed into the ownership of the receivers. Come the end of the 1996 season there was still no new owner. Racing was never seen at the stadium again. The greyhound racing also vacated the stadium at the end of 1996.
- Bamford, R. & Shailes, G. (2002). A History of the World Speedway Championship. Stroud: Tempus Publishing. ISBN 0-7524-2402-5
- Fenn, C.(2003). Hackney Speedway, Friday at Eight. ISBN 0-7524-2737-7
- "Hackney Speedway". Defunct Speedway. Retrieved 2 September 2021.
- Jacobs, N. Speedway in London. ISBN 0-7524-2221-9
- "BRITISH LEAGUE TABLES - MODERN ERA (1991-PRESENT)". Official British Speedway website. Retrieved 2 September 2021.
- "Year by Year". Speedway Researcher. Retrieved 2 September 2021.
- "Bankrupt on the first night - the desperate story of the 'new' Hackney Wick". Betfair.