Little Ladies of the Night
Little Ladies of the Night is a 1977 American made-for-television drama film starring David Soul, Louis Gossett Jr. and Linda Purl. When it was broadcast, it became the highest-rated TV movie of all time.
|Little Ladies of the Night|
|Written by||Hal Sitowitz|
|Directed by||Marvin J. Chomsky|
Louis Gossett Jr.
|Music by||Jerry Fielding|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Executive producer(s)||Leonard Goldberg|
|Production location(s)||Los Angeles|
|Editor(s)||George W. Brooks|
|Running time||100 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Spelling-Goldberg Productions|
|Original release||January 16, 1977|
- David Soul as Lyle York
- Louis Gossett Jr. as Russ Garfield
- Linda Purl as Hailey Atkins
- Clifton Davis as Comfort
- Carolyn Jones as Marilyn Atkins
- Paul Burke as Frank Atkins
- Lana Wood as Maureen
- Kathleen Quinlan as Karen Brodwick
- Vic Tayback as Finch
- Katherine Helmond as Miss Colby
- Dorothy Malone as Maggie
- Bibi Osterwald as Matron
The Los Angeles Times thought it had "wavering credibility".
It was the highest rated program of its night with a 36.9 rating and 53 share, seen by 26,270,000 households. ABC claimed this made it the highest-rated TV movie of all time as it surpassed the 36.5 average rating for Helter Skelter (although the second part of Helter Skelter had a higher rating of 37.5). The rating for a made-for-TV movie was only bettered by 1983's The Day After.
At the time of its broadcast, it was the twelfth-highest-rated movie to air on network television.
- The Networks Are Banking On The 'Super Programs' By LES BROWN. New York Times (1923-Current file); New York, N.Y. [New York, N.Y]29 Aug 1976: 77.
- Runaway's Plight: Life as Prostitute Thomas, Kevin. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File); Los Angeles, Calif. [Los Angeles, Calif]15 Jan 1977: b4
- Alice Looks Like a Winner Los Angeles Times 1 Sep 1976: g13.
- Runaway's Plight: Life as Prostitute Thomas, Kevin. Los Angeles Times 15 Jan 1977: b4.
- "Hit Movies on U.S. TV Since 1961". Variety. January 24, 1990. p. 160.
- 'Little Ladies of the Night' Highest Rated Program Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File); Los Angeles, Calif. [Los Angeles, Calif]19 Jan 1977: e15