Little Eagle, South Dakota
Little Eagle, South Dakota
|• Total||1.4 sq mi (3.7 km2)|
|• Land||1.4 sq mi (3.6 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,650 ft (503 m)|
|• Density||227.8/sq mi (88.6/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-7 (Mountain (MST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-6 (MDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1256161|
The community has the name of a Native American chieftain.
Little Eagle is located at (45.684816, -100.801496).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 1.4 square miles (3.6 km2), of which 1.4 square miles (3.6 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) (2.10%) is water.
Little Eagle has been assigned the ZIP code 57639.
As of the census of 2000, there were 370 people, 71 households, and 60 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 262.9 people per square mile (101.3/km²). There were 74 housing units at an average density of 52.6/sq mi (20.3/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 0.54% White, 99.19% Native American, and 0.27% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.70% of the population.
There were 71 households out of which 53.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 28.2% were married couples living together, 40.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 14.1% were non-families. 9.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 1.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 5.21 and the average family size was 5.43.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 48.4% under the age of 18, 13.8% from 18 to 24, 24.1% from 25 to 44, 10.8% from 45 to 64, and 3.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 19 years. For every 100 females, there were 87.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.9 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $12,500, and the median income for a family was $11,528. Males had a median income of $20,625 versus $12,321 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $3,632. About 75.4% of families and 73.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 76.8% of those under age 18 and 50.0% of those age 65 or over.
|FM radio stations|
|Frequency||Call sign||Name||Format||Owner||Target city/market||City of license|
|89.5 FM||KLND, "The Lodge of Good Voices"||Variety||Seventh Generation Media Services, Inc||Little Eagle||Little Eagle|
- Tȟatȟóka Íŋyaŋke (Running Antelope) is buried at the Long Hill Cemetery east of Little Eagle
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Ullrich, Jan F. (2014). New Lakota Dictionary (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Lakota Language Consortium. ISBN 978-0-9761082-9-0.
- Federal Writers' Project (1940). South Dakota place-names, v.1-3. University of South Dakota. p. 48.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.