List of protomartyrs
A protomartyr (Koine Greek, πρότος prótos "first" + μάρτυρας mártyras "martyr") is the first Christian martyr in a country or among a particular group, such as a religious order. Similarly, the phrase the Protomartyr (with no other qualification of country or region) can mean Saint Stephen, the first martyr of the Christian church, or Saint Thecla, the first female martyr of the Christian church.
- Francis Ferdinand de Capillas – China
- Rajden the First-Martyr – Persia
- Saint Stephen – Israel
- St. Peter Baptist (San Pedro Bautista) – Japan
- St. Lorenzo Ruiz – Philippines, executed in Japan during the Tokugawa shogunate
- St. Pedro Calungsod – Visayas, died at Tumon, Guam
- Andrew Kim Taegon – Korea
- Blessed Andrew of Phu Yen – Vietnam
- Blessed Mother Mary Hermine Givot, Blessed Mother Mary of Peace Giuliani, Blessed Mother Mary Clare Nanetti, Blessed Sister Mary of St Natalie Kerguin, Blessed Sister Mary of St Just Moreau, Blessed Sister Mary Amandine Jeuris, and Blessed Sister Mary Adolphine Dierkx – Franciscan Missionaries of Mary
- St. Alban (3rd or 4th century) – Britain
- Adalbert of Prague – Poland
- St. Vladimir Bogoyavlensky (died 1918) – "Protomartyr of the Soviet Yoke" in Russia
- Odran – Ireland
- Vincent of Saragossa – Spain
- First Martyrs of the Church of Rome
- Saint Berard, Saint Peter, Saint Otho, Saint Accursius, and Saint Adjutus – Franciscan Order
- Christobalito, Antonio, and Juan – the Americas
- Juan de Padilla – Kansas
- Juvenaly – Alaska
- Leo Heinrichs – Colorado
- Fray Luis de Cancer – Florida
- Philip of Jesus – Mexico
- Stanley Rother – the first U.S. native-born citizen (and priest) to be considered a martyr, and beatified, but martyred in Guatemala
- André de Soveral and companions – Brazil
- St. Thekla, Protomartyr and Equal to the Apostles
- Feast of the Franciscan Proto-Martyrs
- Machitadze, Archpriest Zakaria (2006), "St. Razhden, Protomartyr of the Georgian Church (†457)", in The Lives of the Georgian Saints Archived 2008-06-14 at the Wayback Machine. pravoslavie.ru. Retrieved on 2011-12-18.
- "WYD02 Saints: Blessed Andrew of Phu Yen – Protomartyr of Vietnam". Archived from the original on 2010-11-28. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- The Franciscan Book of Saints, ed. by Marion Habig, ofm.
- Thurston, Herbert. "St. Alban." The Catholic Encyclopedia. Vol. 1. New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1907.
- Jesuits in Britain - Call to honour Scotland's only martyr - 20 March 2017
- St. Cuthbert Mayne – Saints & Angels – Catholic Online
- The five Protomartyrs of the Franciscan Order
- Proto-martyrs of the Americas
- Juvenaly of Alaska
- EWTN (27 September 2017). Beatification of Venerable Father Stanley Rother (video). Retrieved 6 May 2020 – via YouTube.
- Protomartyrs of Brazil