List of places on the Isle of Wight
There are nine main towns, most located along the north and east coasts. By greater area population, Ryde is the largest with a population of 32,072. Newport is the centrally located county town, with an area population of 25,496. Most settlements link to Newport by road, which is a hub for island services. There are no settlements with city status; the nearest city is Portsmouth, five miles north-east, then Southampton, ten miles north of Cowes.
|Town||2011 Population||OS Grid Reference||Post town||Postal code|
|East Cowes||7,010||SZ502957||EAST COWES||PO32|
A self-descriptive definition of a village is adopted here.
Hamlets and other placesEdit
- "Nomis Official Labour Market Statistics". UK Office for National Statistics.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Towns and villages on the Isle of Wight.|
- Map of places on the Isle of Wight compiled from this list
- Isle of Wight Towns & Villages, Isle of Wight Time, Greenwich Mean Time website
- Place Name Index, Wightcam- Photographically Illustrated Walks on the Isle of Wight
- The Villages and Towns of the Isle of Wight, Southern Life (UK) website; History of the Villages of Hampshire, Dorset and Isle of Wight Counties.