List of laundry topics
This is a list of laundry topics. Laundry is the washing of clothing and linens (e.g. sheets and towels). Laundry processes are often done in a business, room or area in a home or apartment building, reserved for that purpose; this is referred to as a laundry room. The material that is being washed, or has been laundered, is also generally referred to as laundry.
- Biological detergent – laundry detergent that contains enzymes harvested from micro-organisms such as bacteria adapted to live in hot springs. The description is commonly used in the United Kingdom,
- Fabric softener
- Laundry detergent
- Combo washer dryer
- Dry cleaning
- Washboard and washing paddle, also known under many other names
- Wash copper
- Washing machine
- Wet cleaning, a retronym meaning "not dry cleaning"
- Airing cupboard
- Clothes dryer
- Clothes horse
- Clothes line
- Drying cabinet
- Hills Hoist
- Mangle (machine)
- Winter Dyke
Industrial laundry sorting
Some of these relate more to textile manufacturing than laundry, but there is overlap in how wet cloth is processed.
- Color fastness, the degree to which a textile retains its color without fading or bleeding
- Fulling – a step in making woollen cloth - cleaning the fleece to eliminate oils, dirt, and other impurities, and making it thicker.
- Posting, trampling or treading wet clothing
- Dry Cleaning and Laundry International
- Dry Cleaning Institute of Australia
- Chinese Hand Laundry Alliance
- French laundries of California
- Laundry and Dry Cleaning International Union
- Laundry Workers Industrial Union
- Magdalene asylum
- Project Laundry List – a New Hampshire group that encourages the outdoor drying of clothes
- Worshipful Company of Launderers – a livery company in the City of London that promotes the profession of the launderers by awarding scholarships to laundry students.
- Dhobi, a caste group in India and Pakistan, historically associated with washing clothes
- Fullo, the Latin word for a person washing laundry
- Washerwoman or laundress
- Laundry symbols
- Barbier v. Connolly
- Kimball Laundry Co. v. United States
- Muller v. Oregon
- Pearson v. Chung
- Yick Wo v. Hopkins
- Baths and wash houses in Britain, public places that include facilities for washing the body as well as clothes
- Dhobi Ghat – a well-known open air laundromat in Mumbai, India. The washers, locally known as dhobis, wash the clothes from hotels and hospitals.
- Laundry room, in a private dwelling
- Lavoir, a public wash-house in a village
- Self-service laundry
- Tvättstuga, a shared laundry room in a hall o residence or block of flats
- Utility room, in a private dwelling that includes laundry functions
The Dhobi Ghat open air laundromat in Mumbai, India
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Laundry.|
- "Laundry". The Free Dictionary By Farlex. Retrieved 2012-05-24.
- www.spolem.co.uk: Industrial uses of enzymes Archived 2012-01-03 at the Wayback Machine.
- People of India Uttar Pradesh Volume XLII Part One edited by A Hasan & J C Das
- "Mumbai boasts the world's largest open air laundry". The Globe and Mail. November 8, 2010. Retrieved 28 August 2014.