List of Sergeants-at-Arms of the Canadian House of Commons
List of Sergeants-at-Arms of the House of Commons of Canada who are senior officials of the House appointed by Governor in Council, the Sergeant-at Arms assists the Clerk as head of parliamentary precinct services, performing certain ceremonial functions (bearing the Ceremonial mace of the Commons) and being responsible for security and building services.
Past Sergeants-at-Arms were:
- Lieutenant Colonel Donald William MacDonnell 1867 - 1892 - Sergeant-at-Arms of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Canada 1854-1867
- Lieutenant Colonel Henry Robert Smith CMG 1892 - 1917 - Deputy Sergeant-at-Arms 1872-1892
- Lieutenant Colonel Henry William Bowie 1918 - 1930 - Deputy Sergeant-at-Arms 1891-1918
- Lieutenant Colonel Harry Judson Coghill 1930 - 1934 - died in office
- Brigadier Milton Fowler Gregg, V.C. 1934 - 1939
- Arthur Beauchesne 1939-1945 - acting Sergeant-at-Arms along with his duties as Clerk of the House of Commons
- Lieutenant Colonel William John Franklin 1945 - 1960
- Lieutenant Colonel David Vivian Currie, V.C. 1960 - 1978
- Major General Maurice Gaston Cloutier 1978 - 2005 - died in office
- Audrey Elizabeth O'Brien 2005 - 2006 - interim head of Parliamentary Precinct Services following death of Cloutier and Deputy Clerk of the House of Commons
- Chief Superintendent Kevin Vickers 2006 - Jan 2015
MacDonell, O'Brien and Vickers are the only non-military appointments to the Sergeant-at-Arms. O'Brien worked her way from Commons Committee clerk in 1977. McDonell and Vickers are former member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Beauchesne, a lawyer by training, was acting in his capacity and did not serve in the military.