List of San Jose Sharks head coaches
The San Jose Sharks are a professional ice hockey team based in San Jose, California. The team is a member of the Pacific Division in the Western Conference of the National Hockey League (NHL). Established for the 1991–92 NHL season, the Sharks initially played games at the Cow Palace before moving to SAP Center in 1993. The Sharks are owned by San Jose Sports & Entertainment Enterprises.
There have been nine head coaches in Sharks franchise history. George Kingston was the first coach in Sharks history and lasted two seasons, which included a 1992–93 campaign where the team set an NHL record for losses in a season with 71. Todd McLellan has the most games coached (540), wins (311), points (688), playoff games coached (62) and playoff wins (30) in franchise history as of the end of the 2014-15 NHL season. Cap Raeder is the leader in winning percentage, winning his sole game as head coach on December 3, 2002 against the Phoenix Coyotes. Jim Wiley holds the franchise records for fewest wins (17) and fewest points (37), while Kingston holds the record for lowest winning percentage (.192). The current coach of the Sharks is Peter DeBoer, who was hired on May 28, 2015.
|#||Number of coaches[A]|
|OTL||Overtime losses includes shootout losses|
|Win %||Winning percentage|
|†||Spent entire NHL coaching career with the Sharks|
|1||George Kingston†||April 12, 1991 — April 18, 1993||164||28||129||7||—||63||.192||—|
|2||Kevin Constantine||June 16, 1993 — December 1, 1995||157||55||78||24||—||134||.427||25||11||14|
|3||Jim Wiley[C]||December 1, 1995 — June 5, 1996||57||17||37||3||—||37||.325||—|
|4||Al Sims†||June 5, 1996 — May 9, 1997||82||27||47||8||—||62||.378||—|
|5||Darryl Sutter||June 8, 1997 — December 1, 2002||434||192||167||60||15||459||.529||42||18||24|
|6||Cap Raeder[D]||December 1, 2002 — December 4, 2002||1||1||0||0||0||2||1.000||—|
|7||Ron Wilson||December 4, 2002 — May 12, 2008||385||206||122||19||38||469||.609||52||28||24|
|8||Todd McLellan||June 11, 2008 — April 20, 2015||540||311||163||—||66||688||.637||62||30||32|
|9||Peter DeBoer||May 28, 2015 — present||246||137||86||—||23||297||.603||40||22||18|
- A A running total of the number of coaches of the Sharks. Thus, any coach who had two separate terms as head coach is only counted once.
- B Before 1999, overtime losses were included in the loss column; Since 2005, ties are no longer possible.
- C Wiley served as interim coach for the remainder of the 1995–96 season following the firing of Constantine.
- D Raeder server as interim coach for a single game during the 2002–03 season following the firing of Sutter and prior to the hiring of Wilson.
- "San Jose Sharks [http://www.sjsharks.com/assets/team/2006-07_Sharks_Media_Guide.pdf 2006–07 Media Guide]" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-03-19. External link in
|title=(help)San Jose Sharks (15.7 MiB)