Lionel Khoo (born 27 March 1995) is a Singaporean swimmer. In 2015, Khoo won silver in the men's 200m breaststroke and gold in the 4 × 100 m medley relay at the SEA Games. On October 2016, he set a new national 200m breaststroke record at the Fina/airweave Swimming World Cup held at the OCBC Aquatic Centre, Singapore. Finishing fifth with a record of 2:11.80, he rewrote the previous record of 2:16.19 set at the 2016 ASEAN University Games in July.
|Full name||Khoo Chien Yin Lionel|
27 March 1995|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Weight||68 kg (150 lb)|
Khoo, who was scared of entering the pool, started swimming at the age of three after his childhood friend pushed him into the pool, and his parents signed him up for swimming lessons. He started competitive swimming at the age of eight, and at 12, represented Singapore during the age groups.
A first-year student at the Singapore Management University's Lee Kong Chian School of Business, Khoo represented the university at the 2016 ASEAN University Games in July, where he set a new record of 2:16.19 for the 200m breaststroke.
While serving national service, Khoo started to train for the SEA Games 2015 where he won gold in the men's 4 × 100 m medley relay and silver in the men's 200m breaststroke. Together with Joseph Schooling, Quah Zheng Wen and Clement Lim, the team also broke the 4 × 100 m relay game and national record.
Khoo holds the record in the Short Course (25m) for the 50, 100 and 200 metres breaststroke and the 4 × 100 m relay with Joseph Schooling, Quah Zheng Wen and Rainer Ng. For Long Course (50m) events, he broke the two national records for the 100 and 200 metres breaststroke events in 2016. He also broke the national record for the Short Course mixed relay with Rainer Ng, Tao Li and Mylene Ong. As of December 2016, he holds 8 national records.
He competes in the 50, 100 and 200 metres breaststroke, and 4 × 100 m medley relay.
- "KHOO CHIEN YIN LIONEL". Singapore Sports Council. Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- Lee, Denise (28 November 2016). "Home Team @ the SEA Games: Swimmer Lionel Khoo". hometeam.sg. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- "Lionel Khoo breaks own national record at FINA/airweave Swimming World Cup". Channel NewsAsia. 21 October 2016. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- Sundararajan, Swetha (22 October 2016). "Lionel rewrites own record". The New Paper. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- Tay, Cheryl (16 September 2015). "Singapore #FitFind of the Week: Lionel Khoo". Yahoo. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- Lim, Say Heng (19 December 2014). "Swimming: Khoo's back in the mix". Asiaone. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- "Twelve student athletes and over 150 SMU members make SMU proud at 18th ASEAN University Games". Singapore Management University. 2 August 2016. Retrieved 2016-12-09.