Lifewire is a technology information and advice website. It was a top 10 technology-information site in 2017, reaching 6 million monthly US unique users each month. The website's owner is Dotdash, originally About.com, which launched Lifewire in 2016 as one of its spin-off vertical sites.
Type of site
|Technology information and advice|
|Registration||No registration necessary|
Lifewire was the third standalone brand of About.com, an IAC-owned media company, which broke up its collections of DIY and how-to information into branded vertical websites. Lifewire was preceded by Verywell, a health info website, and The Balance, a personal finance site. Since About.com was one of the top 50 biggest sites online, Lifewire became a top 15 technology website in the United States as soon as it was launched in October 2016.
Traffic for Lifewire rose between 65% and 70% from its launch till February 2017.
The purpose of Lifewire is to offer advice and answers on common technology questions and problems in a clear and simplified format.
When it was launched, Lifewire featured 16,000 articles written by 40 experts, teaching readers what is new in the world of technology and explaining how to better use devices they already own. Lifewire CEO described the website style "as if your BFF happened to be an iPhone expert."
- "About.com launches Lifewire, a tech information website". Tech Crunch. October 25, 2016.
- "On the verge of a rebrand, About.com launches fourth vertical site". The Drum. March 2, 2017.
- "About.com is changing its name to Dotdash as it looks to compete with the big boys of publishing". The Drum. May 2, 2017.
- "Why About.com Blew Itself Up and Put It All Back Together, as a Series of Specialized Sites". Adweek. October 25, 2016.
- "About.com is about to change its name". USA Today. February 17, 2017.