Libor Šulák (born 4 March 1994) is a Czech professional ice hockey defenceman currently playing for Severstal Cherepovets of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL). He has formerly played in the National Hockey League (NHL) with the Detroit Red Wings.
4 March 1994|
Pelhřimov, Czech Republic
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||207 lb (94 kg; 14 st 11 lb)|
Detroit Red Wings
|National team||Czech Republic|
During the 2015–16 season playing with Orli Znojmo, Šulák recorded six goals and 12 assists in 52 games, and was named the league's rookie of the year. In the following 2016–17 season with Orli Znojmo, Šulák placed fourth on the team with 10 goals and 18 assists, and a team-best plus-19 rating in 54 games.
After two productive years with Znojmo, Šulák was initially signed to a two-year contract with Finnish club, Lahti Pelicans of the Liiga on 13 April 2017. However, on 24 May 2017, Šulák was mutually released from his contract using an NHL out-clause in signing to a two-year, entry-level contract with the Detroit Red Wings.
Šulák competed in the ensuing Red Wings training camp and pre-season in preparation for the 2017–18 season. On 2 October 2017, Šulák was re-assigned on loan to Finland by the Red Wings, joining his previously arranged club, the Lahti Pelicans. During the 2017–18 season, he recorded nine goals and 23 assists, and led all defensemen in scoring with a career-high 32 points. After the completion of the Liiga season, Šulák was reassigned to the Red Wings' AHL affiliate, the Grand Rapids Griffins on 23 March 2018.
Šulák made his NHL debut with the Detroit Red Wings to open the 2018–19 season on 4 October 2018. He was scoreless in the Red Wings first 6 games of the season before he was re-assigned to the Griffins of the AHL on 16 October 2019. Šulák remained in the AHL for the remainder of the year, posting 5 goals and 14 points in 61 regular season games.
As an impending restricted free agent to the Red Wings, Šulák opted to return to Europe and continue his career in the KHL, securing a contract with Russian club, Severstal Cherepovets, on 4 June 2019.
Šulák represented the Czech Republic at the 2012 IIHF World U18 Championships, where he recorded three assists in six games. Šulák represented Czech Republic at the 2014 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships, where he recorded no points in five games.
Regular season and playoffsEdit
|2017–18||Grand Rapids Griffins||AHL||2||0||2||2||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2018–19||Detroit Red Wings||NHL||6||0||0||0||6||—||—||—||—||—|
|2018–19||Grand Rapids Griffins||AHL||61||5||9||14||42||4||0||2||2||4|
- "KLH Chomutov 2013–14 player statistics". eliteprospects.com. 5 April 2014. Retrieved 5 April 2014. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Kujawa, Kyle (24 May 2017). "Red Wings sign free agent Defenseman Libor Sulak". Detroit Red Wings. Retrieved 24 May 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Czech Libor Sulak to strengthen blueline". Lahti Pelicans. 13 April 2017. Retrieved 13 April 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Detroit reduces roster". Detroit Red Wings. 2 October 2017. Retrieved 2 October 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Libor Sulak Reassigned to Griffins". Grand Rapids Griffins. 23 March 2018. Retrieved 23 March 2018. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Wakiji, Dana; Regner, Art (4 October 2018). "Five rookies set to make NHL debut for Wings tonight". NHL.com. Retrieved 4 October 2018. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Severstal add to the defense" (in Russian). Severstal Cherepovets. 4 June 2019. Retrieved 4 June 2019. Italic or bold markup not allowed in: