Liberty Hall (Quakertown, Pennsylvania)
Liberty Hall, September 2012
|Location||1237 W. Broad St.,
|Area||0.2 acres (0.081 ha)|
|Built by||Roberts, Abel|
|NRHP Reference #||78002358|
|Added to NRHP||January 26, 1978|
Liberty Hall is a historic building located at Quakertown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. It was built in 1772 as the first permanent residence in Quakertown. It is a two-story, 15 feet by 15 feet building with one room per floor. It is constructed of native fieldstone and has a half gambrel roof. It represents simple colonial Quaker construction.
The Liberty Bell is purported to have been hidden on the property overnight on its way to Allentown, PA. In 1777, the Continental Congress had decreed the bell be moved before the British melted it down for ammunition. On the night of September 18, 1777, six days after the Liberty Bell left Philadelphia, it was stored overnight behind Evan Foulke's house near The Red Lion Inn at the corner of Broad and Main Streets in Quakertown. The next day it continued on its journey to Allentown to be hidden for the remainder of the Revolutionary War. It remained in use as a residence until 1805, when a new dwelling was constructed. It was used for farm storage and later for commercial purposes. It was purchased by the borough of Quakertown in 1977.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "National Historic Landmarks & National Register of Historic Places in Pennsylvania" (Searchable database). CRGIS: Cultural Resources Geographic Information System. Note: This includes Kathryn Ann Auerbach and Daniel Soliday (January 1986). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form: Liberty Hall" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-10-07.
- Markoviitz, Hal. "Restoration Funds Sought For Liberty Bell". Newspaper. Morning Call. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- Marcovitz, Hal. "Liberty Hall's History Scrutinized". Newspaper. The Morning Call. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- Mann, James. "Quakertown Harbors the Liberty Bell". On line article. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. PA-5593, "Liberty Hall, 1235 West Broad Street, Quakertown, Bucks County, PA", 7 photos, 2 data pages, 1 photo caption page
|This article about a property in Bucks County, Pennsylvania on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|