Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust
Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust is an NHS trust which was formed on 1 October 2013 by the merger of Lewisham Healthcare NHS Trust and Queen Elizabeth Hospital. It is responsible for running two acute hospitals, Queen Elizabeth Hospital and University Hospital Lewisham, in addition to community health services in Lewisham. Despite extensive local opposition and legal challenges in Lewisham, the forced merger came about as part of the dissolution of South London Healthcare NHS Trust - of which Queen Elizabeth was part, but Lewisham was not - and was approved by Secretary of State for Health Jeremy Hunt on 26 September 2013.
|Formation||1 October 2013|
|Merger of||Lewisham Healthcare NHS Trust, Queen Elizabeth Hospital|
|Dr Elizabeth Aitken|
|National Health Service|
Both hospitals will continue to operate emergency departments, acute medicine services and maternity units following the High Court decision which ruled that the plan to close services at Lewisham Hospital was unlawful, a judgement which was subsequently upheld in the Court of Appeal.
Since 2015 the trust has used Experian to identify overseas visitors who could be charged for NHS treatment. In 2018-9 it issued bills to ineligible patients for £4.1 million, slightly down on the previous year, but collected only £528,000.
The Trust was given an £8.5m bailout of public dividend capital by the Department of Health to cover an unexpected deficit for the financial year 2014-15.
The General Medical Council put the trust on an enhanced monitoring list in February 2017 after complaints from junior doctors about "clinical supervision, serious incident reporting, trust leadership, rotas and rota management, workload, educational supervision, pastoral support and access to educational opportunities".
It was inspected by the Care Quality Commission in 2014 and was rated inadequate. In 2016 it had improved and was rated ‘requires improvement’. The maternity and gynaecology department was rated as good.
It planned for a year end deficit of £22.8 million for 2017-18 but by the end of July it was £12.4 million behind plan. In January 2018 it had to borrow £95 million on a turnover of £539 million. It had a plan, which was not achieved, equalling 8.6% of turnover, the closure of seven wards and a reduction in the average length of stay from 8.1 to 4.7 days. Its elective procedures are outsourced, orthopaedic surgery to BMI Healthcare and vascular surgery to Frontière Médicale.
The Trust's choir, the Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Choir, appeared on Gareth Malone's BBC Two competition show The Choir: Sing While You Work in 2013, where they finished second. They reached Christmas number one in 2015 with the charity single "A Bridge over You".
- "Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust is a new Trust formed on 1 October 2013". Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- "Greenwich and Lewisham health care trust merger plan approved". BBC News. 26 September 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- "Jeremy Hunt's Lewisham hospital cuts plan quashed at High Court". BBC News. 31 July 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- "Lewisham Hospital: Appeal Court overrules Jeremy Hunt". BBC News. 29 October 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- "Campaigners claim victory over Serco decision by Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust". News Shopper. 15 January 2014. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "Revealed: Mass use of credit check firm to find NHS patients to charge". Health Service Journal. 30 September 2019. Retrieved 19 November 2019.
- "Trusts missing out on tens of millions from overseas patients". Health Service Journal. 19 November 2019. Retrieved 9 January 2020.
- "London trust receives £8.5m bailout to cover unexpected deficit". Health Service Journal. 21 April 2015. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- "Teaching trusts placed on watchlist over bullying and leadership concerns". Health Service Journal. 8 February 2017. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "'Patients deserve better' - Hospital treating Bexley patients slammed in damning CQC report". Bexley Times. 3 November 2016. Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- "NHSI investigates trust over financial governance concerns". Health Service Journal. 5 September 2017. Retrieved 8 October 2017.
- "Trust unable to fund staff for under fire department". Health Service Journal. 30 January 2018. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- "Deficit trust borrowing £95m to cover overspend". Health Service Journal. 4 January 2018. Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- "The Trust Choir - Lewisham and Greenwich". www.lewishamandgreenwich.nhs.uk. Retrieved 2015-12-25.
- "NHS Choir beat Justin Bieber to Christmas number one spot". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-12-25.