Letters from a Father to His Daughter
Letters from a Father to His Daughter is a collection of letters written by Jawaharlal Nehru to his daughter Indira Priyadarshini, originally published in 1929 by Allahabad Law Journal Press at Nehru's request and consisting of only the 30 letters sent in the summer of 1928 when Indira was 10 years old. He arranged a second edition in 1931 and subsequently, further reprints and editions have been published with adapted titles, additional letters and prefaces and forewords by Indira Gandhi, Sonia Gandhi and Priyanka Gandhi Vadra.
Book cover from the 2004 Puffin Book edition with a foreword by Priyanka Gandhi Vadra
|Translator||To Hindi by Munshi Premchand|
|Language||English (original), Hindi|
|Publisher||Allahabad Law Journal Press|
|Followed by||*Pitā ke patra putrī ke nāma Hindi translation (1931)
The letters were education pieces on the subjects of natural and human history. At the time of the letter's writing, Nehru was in Allahabad, while Indira was in Mussoorie. While original letters written by Nehru were in English, they were translated into Hindi by the Hindi novelist Munshi Premchand under the name Pita Ke Patra Putri Ke Naam.
- Nehru, Jawaharlal (2004). Letters from a Father to His Daughter (4th ed.). Haryana: Puffin Books. ISBN 978-0143441861. Foreward by Priyanka Gandhi Vadra
- Gandhi, Sonia (2005). Two Alone, Two Together: Letters Between Indira Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru 1922-1964. Penguin Books India. ISBN 9780143032458.
- "BBC - Freedom's Daughter - Media Centre". www.bbc.co.uk. 25 January 2001. Retrieved 12 August 2019.
- Gandhi, Indira, 1917-1984. (1989). Freedom's daughter : letters between Indira Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru, 1922-39. Gandhi, Sonia, 1946-, Nehru, Jawaharlal, 1889-1964. London: Hodder and Stoughton. ISBN 0340430427. OCLC 18071021.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Jain, Madhu (30 September 1989). "Book review of 'Freedom's Daughter: Letters Between Indira Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru 1922-39'". India Today. Retrieved 12 August 2019.
- Balakrishnan, Anima (4 August 2006). "The Hindu : Young World : From dad with love:". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 31 October 2008.
- "Pandit Nehru's advice to his daughter is something all of us need today". India Today. 14 November 2017. Retrieved 31 July 2019.
- Zama, M. (2004). Prose for Our Times. Orient Blackswan. pp. 39–45. ISBN 8125026819.
- Two Alone, Two Together: Letters Between Indira Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru. Sonia Gandhi, Penguin Books (2005).