Legia Warsaw (sports club)
Legia Warsaw or Legia Warszawa is a Polish multi-sports club based in Warsaw, Poland. The "Legia" has several teams in many sports, the most famous of which are: the football club and its reserve team; the ice hockey club; the basketball club and the volleyball club.
|Full name||Legia Warszawa SA|
|Nickname(s)||Wojskowi ("Militarians"), |
Legioniści ("Legionnaires", "Legionarries")
|Founded||March 1916 as Drużyna Sportowa Legia|
|Ground||Polish Army Stadium (Pepsi Arena), |
3 Łazienkowska Street, Warsaw
Other sections include: RC Legia Warszawa rugby union club, futsal, horse riding, gymnastics, judo, athletics, weightlifting, cycling, tennis, wrestling, waterpolo, squash, swimming, fencing, amputee football, badminton and windsurfing. There used to be also a now defunct speedway and table tennis sections.
Legia was formed between 5 and 15 March 1916 during military operations in World War I on the Eastern Front in the neighborhood of Maniewicze in Volhynia, as the main football club of the Polish Legions. The team had started its first training earlier in the spring of 1915, in the city of Piotrków Trybunalski. In July 1916, due to the Brusilov Offensive, Legia permanently moved to the capital city of Warsaw.
- "STATISTICS HANDBOOK: Group Stage 2011/12 – Legia Warszawa" (PDF). UEFA. 2 September 2011. p. 34.
- "Główna". Legia Warszawa - Sekcja Futsal.
- "Boks, Jeździectwo, Kolarstwo, Podnoszenie cieżąrów, Gimnastyka, Kick-boxing, Tenis, Strzelectwo, Szermierka, Zapasy - Legionisci.com - Legia Warszawa". legionisci.com.
- Media, Wirtualna Polska (March 20, 2020). "Tokio 2020. Żeglarstwo. Zofia Klepacka i Piotr Myszka z oficjalną nominacją olimpijską - WP SportoweFakty". sportowefakty.wp.pl.
- Ciastoń, Jakub (26 August 2015). "Najmłodsza, najlepsza, Iga! 14-latka z Raszyna ograła na kortach Legii starsze od siebie tenisistki" [The youngest, the best, Iga! The 14-year-old from Raszyn outplayed the older tennis players on the Legia courts]. Sport.pl (in Polish). Retrieved 5 October 2020.
- Petruczenko, Maciej (18 July 2018). "Kobiecy wdzięk i męski serwis" [Feminine charm and masculine service]. Passa (in Polish). Retrieved 5 October 2020.