Le Dep is a 2015 Canadian psychological drama film directed by Sonia Boileau. The film tells the story of a young Innu woman (played by Ève Ringuette) who is held at gunpoint one night while working at a convenience store in a small First Nations community in rural Quebec. Set in a fictional Innu community, the film's dialogue is mostly in French, with some Innu-aimun. Le Dep is the first First Nations production of Telefilm Canada's Micro-Budget program. The film's world premiere was at the 2015 Karlovy Vary International Film Festival, following which the film played various festivals in Canada, the United States, and United Kingdom and had a theatrical run in Montreal.
|Directed by||Sonia Boileau|
|Produced by||Jason Brennan|
|Written by||Sonia Boileau|
|Music by||Michel DeMars|
|Edited by||Randy Kelly|
|Distributed by||K Films Amérique|
In Variety, reviewer Alissa Simon found the film "an earnest but engaging social-issue drama", and commented, "its condensed framework and beaucoup dialogue make the pic resemble a classic three-act play."
In Le Soleil, reviewer Éric Moreault found that the film was full of good intentions but lacked dramatic tension and plausibility.
Awards and accoladesEdit
At the 2015 American Indian Film Festival in San Francisco, Ringuette won the best actress award for her performance in Le Dep (she had previously won the same award in 2012 for the film Mesnak).
- "Dep, Le – Film de Sonia Bonspille Boileau". Films du Québec, July 31, 2015.
- Brendan Kelly (2015-08-03). "Sonia Bonspille Boileau views aboriginal communities from a different angle in Le Dep". Montreal Gazette. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- Sage (2014-06-17). "Telefilm Canada's Micro Budget Aboriginal Component Profile: LE DEP". imagineNATIVE Film + Media Arts Festival. Archived from the original on 2016-02-20. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- Ryan Lattanzio (2015-07-01). "Karlovy Vary: A Female First Nation Canadian Makes Her Very Personal Film Debut (Exclusive)". Thompson on Hollywood / IndieWire. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- "Archive of films / Le dep". Karlovy Vary International Film Festival. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- "40th Anniversary American Indian Film Festival November 6-13, 2015". Warrior Publications. 2015-10-25. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- "Le Dep / Raindance Film Festival 2015". Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- Angela Sterritt (2015-11-18). "5 top picks: Winnipeg's Aboriginal Film Fest packed with fire". CBC.ca. Retrieved 2016-01-03.
- Alissa Simon (2015-08-09). "Film Review: 'Le Dep'". Variety. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- Éric Moreault (2015-08-07). "Le dep: plein de bonnes intentions..." Le Soleil. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- "VIFF Announces BC Spotlight and Canadian Images Awards" (Press release). Vancouver International Film Festival. 2015-10-03. Retrieved 2015-10-11.
- "40th Annual American Indian Film Festival Recipients & Award Show Telecast" (Press release). American Indian Film Institute. 2015-12-03. Archived from the original on January 3, 2016. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- Diana Gonzalez (2015-11-15). "Ève Ringuette sacrée meilleure actrice au American Indian film festival". Radio-Canada. Retrieved 2016-01-02.