Lawrence station (Kansas)
This article needs to be updated.April 2019)(
Lawrence is a train station in Lawrence, Kansas, United States, served by Amtrak's Southwest Chief train. The Lawrence station was built in 1956 by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway to replace the Atchison Topeka Santa Fe Station built in 1883 which was damaged by the 1951 flood. The Mid-Century Modern station has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Lawrence Amtrak station (facing south), 2019
|Location||413 East 7th Street|
Lawrence, KS 66044
|Owned by||BNSF Railway|
|Line(s)||BNSF Railway Topeka Subdivision|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Opened||February 7, 1956|
|Passengers (2017)||9,834 16.2%|
In 2011 the station underwent more than $1.5 million in improvements, including the construction of a new 500 feet (150 m) platform and repairs to the platform canopy, new lighting and improved access for persons with disabilities. A ceremony was held on December 3 to mark the end of the project. The City of Lawrence assumed ownership in 2017, and has been awarded a $1.2 million grant to carry out a complete restoration of the structure. The majority of the restoration is expected to be complete in 2018.  The station was added to the Register of Kansas Historic Places on November 18, 2017, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018.
- "New Station is Opened". The Iola Register. Iola, Kansas. February 6, 1956. p. 2. Retrieved January 1, 2020 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2017, State of Kansas" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2017. Retrieved 17 December 2017.
- Great American Stations. Retrieved 3 December 2013
- "Amtrak marks completion of Kansas station improvements". Progressive Railroading. 6 December 2011. Archived from the original on 8 December 2011. Retrieved 8 December 2011.
- Lawrence, KS – Amtrak
- Lawrence Amtrak Station (USA Rail Guide -- Train Web)
- Depot Redux – Local group to preserve the station
- Lawrence, Kansas Train Cam – A webcam facing the station from across 7th Street
- Lawrence, KS (LRC) (Amtrak's Great American Stations)
|This Kansas train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|