Laurentian fan(Redirected from Laurentian Abyss)
The Laurentian fan or abyss is an underwater depression off the eastern coast of Canada in the Atlantic Ocean. Not a trench, but more of an "underwater valley", it is estimated to be at most ~19,685 feet (3.7 miles; 6.0 km) in depth. The Laurentian fan is a product of glaciation and water currents from the Saint Lawrence River. It is part of the Laurentian cone region, bound by the Laurentian Channel and the Sohm Abyssal Plain.
The approximate coordinates are Coordinates: .
In popular cultureEdit
- The Laurentian Abyss was the covert rendezvous point for Soviet and American submarines in the 1990 technothriller film The Hunt for Red October. The location, however, was a departure from the original 1984 novel by Tom Clancy.
- The abyss appears in the Transformers live-action film where Megatron's dead body is dumped after he was killed by Sam Witwicky. The abyss is seen again in the sequel Revenge of the Fallen where the Constructicons come to revive Megatron.
- "Geography of the Ocean and the Structure of Planet Water". The Ocean. MarineBio.org. 2007-05-21. Retrieved 2007-07-10.
- Information gathered via a phone interview with Dr. Norm Catto of Memorial University - August 15, 2008
- Dover, C. L. V. (2000). The Ecology of Deep-Sea Hydrothermal Vents. USA: Princeton University Press. p. 352. ISBN 978-0-691-04929-8.
|This article about a specific oceanic location or ocean current is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|