Laughing Whitefish Falls State Park
Laughing Whitefish Falls State Park is a public recreation area protecting 960 acres (390 ha) along the Laughing Whitefish River in Onota Township and Rock River Township, in far western Alger County, Michigan. Its main scenic feature is Laughing Whitefish Falls, a 100-foot fan-shaped cascade located in the southern part of the site, in Rock River Township, eight miles (13 km) south of Lake Superior and three miles north of M-94.
|Laughing Whitefish Falls State Park|
|Location||Upper Peninsula, Alger County, Michigan, United States|
|Nearest town||Sundell, Michigan|
|Area||960 acres (390 ha)|
|Elevation||971 feet (296 m) |
|Designation||Michigan State Park|
|Administrator||Michigan Department of Natural Resources|
|Website||Laughing Whitefish Falls State Park|
Laughing Whitefish Falls is formed by an abrupt limestone escarpment of the Laughing Whitefish River, which flows northward into Lake Superior. The escarpment is shaped so as to draw out the cascade into an unusual fan-shaped wall of water. The falls is located within the Escanaba River State Forest, three-quarters of a mile east of County Route 327 (North Sundell Road). It can be reached by a half-mile hike through beech-maple forest. Foot trails also connect the falls to the North Country Trail, which runs through the north end of the park.
Activities and amenitiesEdit
The park offers picnicking, three observation decks, and 2.5 miles (4.0 km) of hiking trails.
- "Laughing Whitefish Falls". Protected Planet. IUCN. Retrieved March 26, 2020.
- "Laughing Whitefish Falls". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "When were Michigan state parks and recreation areas established?" (PDF). Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved March 26, 2020.
- "Laughing Whitefish Falls State Park". Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved July 7, 2018.
- "Laughing Whitefish Falls". Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved March 26, 2020.
- Laughing Whitefish Falls State Park Michigan Department of Natural Resources
- Laughing Whitefish Falls State Park Map Michigan Department of Natural Resources
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Laughing Whitefish Falls.|