Latoya Joyner is the Assembly member for the 77th District of the New York State Assembly. She is a Democrat. The district includes portions of Claremont, Concourse, Highbridge, Mount Eden and Morris Heights in The Bronx.
|Member of the New York Assembly from the 77th District|
Assumed office |
January 1, 2015
|Preceded by||Vanessa Gibson|
SUNY Stony Brook (B.S.)|
University at Buffalo (J.D.)
Life and careerEdit
Joyner was born and raised in The Bronx and graduated from the Richard R. Green High School for Teaching. She later attended SUNY Stony Brook for her undergraduate degree and later the University at Buffalo for law school. At Stony Brook, Joyner was a member of Chi Alpha Epsilon Honor Society and Phi Beta Kappa.
Previously, she served as a member of the New York State Bar and with the New York City Criminal Court. She was a community liaison in the district office of former Assemblywoman Aurelia Greene, and later was a member of Bronx Community Board 4.
New York AssemblyEdit
Assemblywoman Vanessa Gibson resigned from her seat after being elected to the New York City Council in 2013, and following her resignation, the seat remained vacant for a year. Joyner entered the race to succeed her, and in a four-way primary, easily won the election. She would win the general election with nearly 95% of the vote.
Joyner was sworn in for her first term on January 1, 2015. Currently, she serves on the Subcommittee on Diversity in Law as its Chairwoman.
- "Latoya Joyner Announces Assembly Run Today". Bronx Chronicle. 2014-05-16. Retrieved 2016-01-23.
- "New York's Attempt to Diversify Legal Profession". City Limits. 2015-08-06. Retrieved 2016-01-23.
- "Latoya Joyner '08". Stony Brook Matters. 2013-11-18. Retrieved 2016-01-23.
- "Voters Will Decide Who Is Going to Fill Long-Vacant Bronx Assembly Seats". DNAinfo. 2014-09-09. Archived from the original on 2016-01-29. Retrieved 2016-01-23.
- "Hotel Trades Council Backs Two Assembly Contenders in the Bronx". The Observer. 2014-05-05. Retrieved 2016-01-23.
- "Bronx Democrats, Public Advocate Letitia James, back two for state Assembly". New York Daily News. 2014-05-30. Retrieved 2016-01-23.
- "Primary Voters Choose Michael Blake and Latoya Joyner in Bronx". DNAinfo. 2014-09-10. Archived from the original on 2016-01-29. Retrieved 2016-01-23.
- "Stony Brook alumni elected into New York State Assembly". The Statesman. 2015-03-01. Retrieved 2016-01-23.