Laser warning receiver
A laser warning receiver is a type of warning system used as a passive military defence. It detects, analyzes, and locates directions of laser emissions from laser guidance systems and laser rangefinders. Then it alerts the crew and can start various countermeasures, like smoke screen, aerosol screen (e.g. Shtora), active laser self-defence weapon with laser dazzler (LSDW, used on the Chinese Type 99 main battle tank), laser jammer, etc.
Detectors used in LWR are usually based on a semiconductor photodetector array, which is typically cryogenically or thermal-electric cooled. Sometimes avalanche photodiodes (APD), photoconductivity, photoelectromagnetic, or photodiffusion devices are used even without cooling. Some devices detect only the main beam of foreign lasers while others detect even scattered rays.
Some models used by US are listed:
- Electronic Warfare in Operations: U. S. Army Field Manual FM 3-36. 25 February 2009. p. A-4. ISBN 9781437914245. Retrieved 7 February 2015. (PDF version 4.53 MB)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-12-06. Retrieved 2012-01-31.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "ASELSAN LIAS".
- "ASELSAN LIS".
- "ASELSAN TLUS".
- "Laser Warning Systems". BAE Systems. 2008-02-14. Archived from the original on 2009-11-06. Retrieved 2009-10-22.
- "Laser Warning Detector". Thales. 2008-02-14. Archived from the original on 2012-03-08. Retrieved 2009-10-22.
-  PentaTec ARGUS
- http://www.virtualacquisitionshowcase.com/document/1181/briefing[permanent dead link]
- ASELSAN LİAS for Airborne Platforms
- ASELSAN LİS for Naval Platforms
- ASELSAN TLUS for Ground Platforms
- AN/AVR-2 LWS at fas (airborne)
- Goodrich AN/VVR-1 Laser Warning Receiver System (LWRS)
- Goodrich AN/VVR-2 Laser Warning Receiver System (LWRS) (land laser warner)[dead link]
- High-speed FT Spectrometer for Laser Warning Receivers
- Battlefield Laser Warning Receiver Homebrew laser warning receiver