Larry Wright (street drummer)
Larry Wright (born c. 1975) is a well-known New York City busker. He's credited as the first major drummer to use five gallon plastic buckets instead of a normal drum kit. He uses his foot to lift the bucket changing the sound patterns.
|Origin||Bronx, New York, United States|
He has appeared in commercials, Mariah Carey's "Someday" video, Bring in 'da Noise, Bring in 'da Funk as well as the movie Green Card. Most recently he appeared in the short film The Yellow Card directed by Enrique Pedraza. It is a documentary based on subway performers in New York City, where Larry Wright and his wife Sonia Wright are one of the main acts in the film as they play their music and are being interviewed. There is an independent movie about him as a high school student.
He has played since he was five years old, and met his wife while playing in the New York City Subway. His favorite drummers are Eyeon, Tito Puente, Max Roach, and Buddy Rich. He and his wife can typically be found at the Union Square, Penn Station, Port Authority, and 59th and Lexington subway stations.
A more recent interview with Larry and his wife Sonia appears in Issue Four of The Drummer's Journal.
- Keepnews, Peter (December 6, 1998). "THEATER; His Bangin' Is the Sound of Music". New York Times. Retrieved August 7, 2013.
- Marks, Peter (September 24, 1999). "THEATER REVIEW; A Symphony of Sticks, Ever So Loudly". New York Times. Retrieved August 7, 2013.
- "DRUMHEAD Magazine". www.drumheadmag.com. Retrieved February 4, 2018.
- "Enrique Pedráza Botero". Enrique Pedráza Botero. Retrieved February 4, 2018.
- "Green Card- Soundtrack details - SoundtrackCollector.com". www.soundtrackcollector.com. Retrieved February 4, 2018.
- "Web Page Under Construction". www.frif.com. Retrieved February 4, 2018.
- Kaye, Julia. “Subterranean Rolling Stock: An interview with Larry and Sonia Wright" Archived June 6, 2014, at the Wayback Machine, The Drummer’s Journal’’, New York, October 27, 2013. Retrieved on October 27, 2013.
- "HugeDomains.com". streetdrummer.com. Retrieved February 4, 2018.
- Larry Wright and is wife performance in New York subway on 2010
- Bucket Beats - A collection of videos of Street Drummers performing all over the world.
- Streetdrummer - examples of bucket, marching & junk drumming
- Drummerworld overview
- Film about Larry Wright
- 1990 Levi's 501 commercial featuring Wright, dir: Spike Lee