Larry Donnell (born November 1, 1988) is an American football tight end who is currently a free agent. He played college football for Grambling State. He was signed by the New York Giants as an undrafted free agent in 2012.
|Born:||November 1, 1988|
|Height:||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Weight:||265 lb (120 kg)|
|High school:||Carroll (Ozark, Alabama)|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics|
Donnell played football for four seasons at Grambling State University. He switched from quarterback to tight end during his freshman year. He finished his college career with 38 receptions for 432 yards and 11 touchdowns.
|Ht||Wt||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad|
|6 ft 6 in
|4.91 s||1.78 s||2.82 s||4.59 s||7.41 s||34.5 in
|9 ft 8 in|
|All values from Grambling State Pro Day|
New York GiantsEdit
Donnell, who was not drafted during the 2011 NFL Draft, sat out the 2011 season. He signed with the Giants as an undrafted free agent on March 13, 2012. He was waived by the Giants on August 31, 2012 and signed to the Giants practice squad on September 1, 2012.
He was signed to a reserve/future contract by the Giants on September 2, 2013. He played on special teams for the entire regular season and started one game as a tight end. He finished the season with 3 receptions for 31 yards.
On September 25, 2014, in a nationally televised game on Thursday Night Football, Donnell scored 3 touchdowns on 7 receptions for 54 yards. Donnell was the first Giant tight end to accomplish the feat of scoring three touchdowns in the same game since Joe Walton in 1962.
On March 4, 2015, the Giants tendered Donnell, which yielded him the three-year veteran minimum salary of $585,000 over one-year. The next day, Donnell was aboard Delta Air Lines Flight 1086 when it crashed upon landing. Donnell was not among the injured or hospitalized passengers, and posted pictures and video he took of the incident to his Instagram account.
On October 11, 2015, Donnell caught a 12-yard game-winning touchdown pass from Eli Manning in a week 5 game against the San Francisco 49ers. On December 8, 2015, Donnell was placed on season-ending injured reserve due to a neck injury he suffered after trying to do a somersault over a defender on November 1 in a game against the New Orleans Saints. Prior to being placed on injured reserve, Donnell had missed the previous four games. Donnell became a restricted free-agent after the 2015 season. On March 3, 2016, the Giants tendered Donnell with the original-round tender of $1.671 million. On April 19, 2016, Donnell signed his one-year restricted free-agent tender after getting clearance from team doctors. On February 13, 2017 Mike Garafolo of NFL.com reported that Donnell would not be re-signed.
- "Giants Add Tight End, Offensive Tackle". SNY Giants. Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- "Larry Donnell, New York Giants". Giants.com. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Inabinett, Mark. "NFL kicks off Week 4 with Giants tight end Larry Donnell on the rise". AL.com. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Dane Brugler. "The unlikely NFL journey of Giants tight end Larry Donnell". CBSSports.com. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- "Football - NCAA - Player Stats - Larry Donnell - Grambling State Tigers - washingtonpost.com". Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- "Larry Donnell - Grambling State, TE : 2011 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile". Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- "Larry Donnell". ESPN.com. Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- "Eli Manning (5 TDs), Larry Donnell (3) star as Giants rout Redskins". ESPN.com. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- "Giants TE Larry Donnell Walks Away Unharmed After Botched Plane Landing". Bleacher Report. March 5, 2015. Retrieved March 26, 2015.
- Eisen, Michael (December 8, 2015). "Giants place LS Zak DeOssie, TE Larry Donnell on IR". Giants.com. Retrieved December 19, 2015.
- Graziano, Dan (March 3, 2016). "Giants will bring back Larry Donnell, keep looking for TE help". ESPN. Retrieved March 18, 2016.
- Sessler, Marc (April 19, 2016). "Cleared to play, TE Larry Donnell re-signs with Giants". NFL.com. Retrieved June 16, 2016.
- Patra, Kevin (July 30, 2017). "Ravens sign veteran tight end Larry Donnell". NFL.com.
- Mink, Ryan (September 1, 2017). "Ravens Announce 24 Roster Moves, Have 13 More To Make". BaltimoreRavens.com. Archived from the original on January 18, 2018.