The shore of Lake Chad on the coast of the Lac region
Map of Chad showing Lac.
|• Governor||N'Garboudjoum Jacob (2008), Mahamat Abali Salah (2018)|
Per the census of 2009, the total population in the region was 451,369, 49.60 per cent females. The total number of households was 97,140: 94,857 in rural areas and 2,283 in urban areas. The number of nomads in the region was 16,025, 4.10 per cent of the total population.
Lac is traversed by the northeasterly line of equal latitude and longitude. The region includes Chad's portion of the shore of Lake Chad. Chad has a general elevation of 240 m (790 ft) in Lake Chad Depression towards Guera massif located at an elevation of 1,800 m (5,900 ft) and eastwards towards mountainous Saharan region of 3,350 m (10,990 ft). The only rivers in the country of importance are Chari and Logone, flowing into Lake Chad. The region receives an annual rainfall of 744 mm (29.3 in) and has vegetational zones. The region is the principal agricultural segment in the whole country, producing cotton and groundnut, the two main cashcrops of the country. There are a variety of local crops like rice are also grown in the region.
Per the census of 2009, the population in the region was 451,369, 49.60 per cent female. The average size of household was 4.60: 4.60 in rural households and 4.90 in urban areas. The number of households was 97,140: 94,857 in rural areas and 2,283 in urban areas. The number of nomads in the region was 16,025, 4.10 per cent of the population. There were 450,424 people residing in private households. There were 194,211 over 18 years of age: 93,587 male and 100,624 female. The sex ratio was 101.00 females for every hundred males. There were 435,344 sedentary staff, 4.00 of the population. The main ethnico-linguistic groups are the Kanembu (more than 66%) and the Buduma (more than 18%).  Lac is one of the 23 regions of Chad and has the Head Post Office of the region is located in the capital. As of 2015, internet and telephone were limited and post was the primary mode of communication.
The region of Lac is divided into two departments, namely, Mamdi (capital Bol). Chad became independent in 1961 from the French Colonial Empire. On account of ensuing political instability and local civil wars, it continued as a one party democracy till 1991, while other parties were also allowed. All the powers rested centrally with the President. As a part of decentralization in February 2003, the country is administratively split into regions, departments, municipalities and rural communities. The prefectures which were originally 14 in number were re-designated in 17 regions. The regions are administered by Governors appointed by the President. The Prefects, who originally held the responsibility of the 14 prefects, still retained the titles and were responsible for the administration of smaller departments in each region. The members of local assemblies are elected every six years, while the executive organs are elected every three years. As of 2016, there are totally 23 regions in Chad, which are divided based on population and administrative convenience.
- Law, Gwillim. "Regions of Chad". Statoids. Retrieved 10 March 2017.
- Hilling, David (2004). "Chad - Physical and Social Geography". Africa South of the Sahara 2004. Psychology Press. p. 218. ISBN 9781857431834.
- "Census of Chad". National Institute of Statistical, Economic and Demographic Studies, Chad. 2009. Archived from the original on 21 November 2016. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- Falola, Toyin; Jean-Jacques, Daniel (2015). Africa: An Encyclopedia of Culture and Society [3 volumes]: An Encyclopedia of Culture and Society. ABC-CLIO. p. 251. ISBN 9781598846669.
- "Chad profile - Timeline". BBC. 2 August 2016. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- Republic of Chad Public Administration and Country profile (PDF) (Report). Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA), United Nations. 2004. p. 9. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- Chad district map (PDF) (Report). Department of Field Support,Cartographic Section, United Nations. Retrieved 20 November 2016.