La Costa Canyon High School
La Costa Canyon High School (LCCHS) is a high school in the San Dieguito Union High School District. Located on 88 acres (360,000 m²) in the La Costa neighborhood of south Carlsbad in northwest San Diego County, La Costa Canyon opened in September, 1996. The students attending La Costa Canyon live in Encinitas, Rancho Santa Fe, Olivenhain, and Aviara in south Carlsbad.
|La Costa Canyon High School|
1 Maverick Way
|Motto||Be the Change. Be the Difference. Be a Maverick.|
|School district||San Dieguito Union High School District|
|Teaching staff||83.43 (FTE)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||23.34|
|Student Union/Association||La Costa Canyon Associated Student Body or LCC ASB (lccasb.com)|
|Athletics||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Gymnastics, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Rugby, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, Wrestling, and Surfing.|
|Rival||Torrey Pines High School|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
1,935 students were enrolled at La Costa Canyon High School in 2017-2018. The pupil-teacher ratio is 27:1. The average SAT score in 2016-2017 was 1200. The average ACT score was 25.2 for 2017-2018. Approximately 95% of the students are college bound. The student body is 75.1% Caucasian, 16% Hispanic, 3.4% Asian, 1% Filipino, 0.9% African-American, 0.3% Pacific Islander, 0.2% American Indian or Alaska Native, 3.1% Two or More Races.
The faculty consists of a principal, three assistant principals, four counselors, a media-specialist, and over 125 certificated staff members. Approximately 88% have degrees beyond a bachelor's degree.
Associated Student BodyEdit
The La Costa Canyon Associated Student Body is advised and directed by LCC Alumni Casey Belitz. LCC ASB provides resources and services for the students at LCC. From planning dances or funding programs, the ASB advocates for students on a campus, local, and city level. For more information about this organization, please visit lccasb.com.
2020-2021 Elected Officials Carson Robles ('21), John O'Hara ('21), Sarah Williams ('21), Haley Lockwood ('21), Casey DeHaan ('22), Clare Lucewicz ('21), Siobhan Gallagher ('21), , Danny Dougherty ('22), Abby Hendricks ('22), Shane Baum ('23), Andrew Baum ('23)
Speech and debateEdit
As a member of the Southern California National Forensic League District, La Costa Canyon is ranked within the top four hundred speech and debate teams in the nation. Its tournament, the San Diego Winter Classic, is a Tournament of Champions qualifier for Policy Debate and Public Forum Debate and a National Individual Events Tournament of Champions qualifier for Original Oratory, Dramatic Interpretation, Duo Interpretation, and Humorous Interpretation. With multiple nationally ranked speakers and debaters, La Costa Canyon has advanced students at the national tournament in a variety of events, including Public Forum Debate, Lincoln-Douglas Debate, Policy Debate, Congressional Debate, Original Oratory, and Humorous Interpretation. La Costa Canyon also advanced its first student, Brennan Caruthers, to the Tournament of Champions in the 2012-2013 school year. The courses offered are Policy Debate, Lincoln-Douglas Debate, and Speech.
La Costa Canyon vs. Torrey Pines RivalryEdit
La Costa Canyon High School and Torrey Pines High School annually compete in a football game known as the, “Surf Bowl.” The winning team takes home the ‘Surfboard,’ which symbolizes the ongoing rivalry. The winning team keeps the surfboard until the next year.
La Costa Canyon offers a highly competitive full men's and/or women's athletic program in the following sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Gymnastics, Lacrosse, Marching Band, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Rugby, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, and Wrestling. Surfing and Table Tennis are club sports available to LCCHS students. La Costa Canyon has many teams ranked highly on both a national and statewide level and has produced numerous CIF division champions.
The Maverick Brigade is the La Costa Canyon High School marching band and color guard, the only marching band in the San Dieguito Union High School District. They compete in the Southern California School Band and Orchestra Association circuit.
A FIRST Robotics Competition Team was founded at La Costa Canyon in 2014-2015. Team 5514, the "MavBots", received a rookie team grant from NASA and sponsorship from Nordson Corporation to get the program started and won the Rookie Inspiration Award at the 2015 San Diego Regional. As of the 2018-2019 school year, the MavBots have over 30 team members working with 6 adult mentors.
- Eric Avila, soccer player for Orlando City of Major League Soccer
- Andrew Briedis, writer
- Chase Budinger, former NBA player for the, Houston Rockets, Indiana Pacers, Minnesota Timberwolves
- Phillip Evans, baseball player for New York Mets, Chicago Cubs
- Cubbie Fink, former bassist for Foster the People
- Ryan Guy, soccer player
- Karsta Lowe, Olympic volleyball player on 2016 United States women's national volleyball team
- Erik Magnuson, NFL football player for the San Francisco 49ers
- Mickey Moniak, baseball player selected 1st overall, Philadelphia Phillies in 2016 MLB Draft
- Kevin O'Connell, former NFL player, current Offensive Coordinator Los Angeles Rams
- Vinny Perretta, former NFL player for the Minnesota Vikings
- David Quessenberry, former NFL football player for the Houston Texans, Tennessee Titans
- Scott Quessenberry, NFL football player for the Los Angeles Chargers
- Sebastian Soto, American soccer player for SC Telstar on loan from Norwich City
- Kenny Stills, NFL football player for the Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints, Houston Texans
- Joe Toledo, former NFL football player for the Miami Dolphins, San Diego Chargers, Green Bay Packers, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, Philadelphia Eagles
- "La Costa Canyon High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved May 9, 2020.
- https://lc.sduhsd.net/Key-Info/WASC-Accreditation-/index.html. Missing or empty
- "Enrollment by School - Student & School Data Files (Downloadable) (CA Dept of Education)". www.cde.ca.gov. Retrieved 2018-11-19.
- "Profile 2018-19" (PDF). 2 November 2018. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- "2017-18 Enrollment by Ethnicity". Nces.ed.gov. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- "LA COSTA CANYON HIGH SCHOOL SELF-STUDY REPORT" (PDF). October 2017. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- "Press Release: SDUHSD Interim Administrative Changes for 2018-19" (PDF). 6 August 2018. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- "18-19 Admin Duties" (PDF). Retrieved November 26, 2014.
- David McGinnes (April 3, 2013). "Tournament of Champion At Larges Announced". nsdupdate.com. Retrieved August 5, 2019.