La Banquise is a restaurant in Montreal, Quebec, Canada which specializes in the dish of poutine. It serves over thirty different kinds of poutine and is open 24 hours. Its address is 994 Rue Rachel East in the borough of Le Plateau-Mont-Royal.
La Banquise storefront
|Food type||Snack bar specializing in Poutine|
|Street address||994 Rue Rachel East|
|Postal/ZIP Code||H2J 2J3|
La Banquise was founded in 1968 by Pierre Barsalou, a firefighter. It was originally an ice cream shop, although it became a snack bar later in the year and served mostly hot dogs and French fries. Poutine was not served at La Banquise until the beginning of the 1980s. Only two types of poutine were served at the beginning, although La Banquise is now known for serving over 30 different varieties. Today the restaurant is owned by Barsalou's daughter Annie and her partner Marc Latendresse.
- Olmsted, Larry (2013-09-03). "Montreal poutine: Regional delicacy or gloppy mess?". USA Today.
- "About Us". La Banquise. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- Musgrave, Sarah (2011-08-25). "3 a.m. poutine call". The Gazette. Montreal. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "Chowtime". Best of Montreal Readers Poll 2011. Montreal Mirror. 2011-05-12. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- Watson, Amie (2012-03-17). "Poutine for the rest of Canada". The Gazette. Montreal. Retrieved 10 April 2012.