L. V. Prasad Eye Institute
The L V Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI) was established in 1987 at Hyderabad by Gullapalli Nageswara Rao as a not-for-profit, non-government eye care institution. The mission of LVPEI is to provide "equitable and efficient eye care to all sections of society." The institute was founded by Dr. Gullapalli Nageswara Rao.
|L V Prasad Eye Institute|
|Location||L V Prasad Marg, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|Lists||Hospitals in India|
L.V. Prasad, the veteran Indian filmmaker and founder of Prasad Studios, donated the sum of Rs. 10 million and 5 acres of land in Banjara Hills towards the establishment of the eye institute. Recognizing this donation the eye institute founder Gullapalli Nageswara Rao named the institute L.V. Prasad Eye Institute.
Active areas of operationEdit
LVPEI has served nearly 23.8 million people, with over 50% of them entirely free of cost, irrespective of the complexity of care needed. The institute also offers rehabilitation services for persons with visually impairment, and in 2018 it inaugurated a 'Special Needs Vision Clinic' to provide comprehensive eye-care to children with developmental delays and disabilities.
On 1 June 2012, LVPEI Head Of Research, Prof. Balasubranian, said that the institute was conducting research on gene therapy to correct genetic retinal disorders and that gene delivery into the eye could happen in 1–2 years.[needs update]
- Main center in Banjara Hills, named after Kallam Anji Reddy the founder of Dr.Reddy Labs.
- 3 tertiary centers in Visakhapatnam, Bhubaneswar and Vijayawada.
- 20 secondary centers
- 185 primary care centers
The secondary and primary care centers provide medical facilities to the remotest rural areas of the country.
- Khan, Arshia (30 December 2011). "Dr Gullapalli N Rao: Unwinding the reserved and rigorous". ModernMedicare.co.in. Archived from the original on 11 July 2012. Retrieved 28 January 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ABN Telugu (30 October 2017), Gullapalli Nageswara Rao About Sr NTR And LV Prasad Eye Institute | Open Heart With RK | ABN, retrieved 11 January 2018 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "About L V Prasad Eye Institute - LV Prasad Eye Institute". L V Prasad Eye Institute. Archived from the original on 12 January 2018. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- "Rehabilitating the blind". The Hindu Businessline. 2 January 2012. Retrieved 28 January 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Special Needs Vision Clinic for children at LVPEI". The Hindu Business Line.
- "Research on gene therapy by Prasad Eye". 1 June 2012.
- "RIEB of LV Prasad Eye Institute gets award from International Federation of Eye Banks". saffron.pharmabiz.com. Archived from the original on 14 July 2012. Retrieved 28 January 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)