Löve (game engine)
|Initial release||January 13, 2008|
11.2 / November 25, 2018
|Written in||C++, Lua|
Mac OS X
iOS, Android, other
The API provided by the engine gives access to the video and sound functions of the host machine through the libraries SDL and OpenGL, or since version 0.10 also OpenGL ES 2 and 3. Fonts can be rendered by the engine FreeType. A version of the engine called piLöve, has been specifically ported to Raspberry Pi.
It also provides a basic "sandbox" management of the files in order to avoid giving access to all its disk to the executed games.
Löve is still maintained by its original developers.
|Version||Code name||Added||Release date|
||January 13, 2008|
||February 6, 2008|
||March 29, 2008|
||August 29, 2008|
|0.4.0||Taco Beam||July 4, 2008|
||January 2, 2009|
||December 24, 2009|
||February 7, 2010|
||March 6, 2010|
||December 5, 2010|
||February 14, 2011|
||May 5, 2011|
||April 2, 2012|
||December 13, 2013|
||April 1, 2014|
||February 14, 2015|
|0.10.0||Super Toast||December 22, 2015|
||February 14, 2016|
||October 31, 2016|
||April 1, 2018|
||April 15, 2018|
||November 25, 2018|
Lutro is a lua game framework for libretro, partial port of the LÖVE API. ChaiLove follows a similar path by offering an implementation in ChaiScript an embedded and cross-platform scripting language for C++ (C++14).
These features come with the game engine:
- support of Open GL pixel shaders GLSL,
- touch screen support,
- support UTF-8,
- supports image formats PNG, JPEG, GIF, TGA and BMP,
- possibility to use the physics engine in 2D Box2D (can be disabled, to lighten the library),
- luasocket library for network communications TCP/UDP,
- lua-enet library, another network library implementing Enet, a reliable protocol based on UDP
- native management of tiles created by the Tiled.
Portability and UsageEdit
Löve is based on a language and libraries that aim to be cross-platform. Löve is therefore cross-platform.
Application compatibility is not ensured between different Löve versions.
There are various libraries to improve basic functions, such as object programming with Inheritance and overload, interpolations, camera management, network multiplayer management, game state management, configuration etc.
The Simple Tiled Implementation library allows you to load levels as tiles, edit using Tiled and display them in games. It works in conjunction with Box2D for collision management with this decor.
There is also a free platform (GPLv3) called LIKO-12, inspired by the PICO-8 fantasy console and using LÖVE, allowing to develop applications in a limited resolution, backup/restore in the modified PNG format, in the same way as the video game cartridges of the game consoles or some of the first microcomputers, and export them to HTML5 or to systems supported by LÖVE.
- Damilare Darmie Akinlaja (2013). LÖVE2d for Lua Game Programming -master the Lua programming language and build exciting strategy-based games in 2D using the LÖVE framework. PacktPub. ISBN 9781461946038. OCLC 864886612.
- Jayant Varma (2012). Learn Lua for iOS game development. Apress. ISBN 9781430246633. OCLC 834071764.
- "LÖVE version history". Retrieved 2019-06-01.
- "LÖVE 11.2". Retrieved 2019-06-01.
- Korben (January 14, 2011). "The power of Löve !". Korben.info.
- "PiLove - LÖVE on RaspberryPI". mitako.eu.
- "Posts Tagged'love2d'". Ludum Dare.
- Rob Beschizza (July 17, 2018). "The most popular engines for indie games". Boingboing.
- Florent Zara (September 1, 2008). "Löve Output 0.4.0 free game engine, 2D". Linux.
- Christian Nutt (December 22, 2015). "New version of free LÖVE 2D game framework adds mobile support". Gamasutra.
- "Lutro". github.
- RobLoach (December 26, 2017). "ChaiLove - Another Take on 2D Game Development". libretro.
- Marius Nestor. "An Open Source and cross-platform 2D game engine that provides dynamic gaming experiences". Softpedia (in lang-en).CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- Landon Manning (December 21, 2015). "Using Tiled Maps in LÖVE". lua.space.
- "Tiled". mapeditor.org.
- "Simple Tiled Implementation". github.com.
- "Anim8". love2d.org.
- "An animation library for LÖVE". github.
- "[LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d". love2d.org. September 18, 2016.