Gwon also written as Kwon (Korean: 권; Hanja: 權) is a Korean family name. Some sources[who?] list as many 56 clans, but most of them were merged with the Andong Gwon clan under the Sijeung-gong faction soon after the establishment of the Goryeo Kingdom( 918-1392).
Andong Gwon clanEdit
The founder of Andong Gwon clan, Kim Haeng (金幸), was originally a royalty of the Silla Gyeongju Kim clan. He participated in the Battle of Gochang and helped Taejo, who established the Kingdom of Goryeo in 918; the new king bestowed upon Kim Haeng a new surname: Gwon (權), as he could judge the situation correctly and achieve a purpose flexibly (能炳幾達權).
Yecheon Gwon clanEdit
One account has its original surname was Heun (昕). However, in 1197, the name Heun (昕) was chosen as the posthumous name for the Goryeo kingdom's King Myeongjong. To avoid the use of a king’s posthumous name, the Heun (昕) family were directed to change their name to Gwon (權). The head of the Heun clan at this time became Gwon So, the founding ancestor of the Yecheon Gwon clan. Approximately two thirds of clan members live in the Gyeongsang provinces. All members of the Heun (昕) clan disappeared before the founding of Joseon.
Another account states that the Yecheon Heun (昕) clan's Jeoksin, Suchang, Seungdan, and Seungjo married into the Andong Gwon Clan and afterward their descendants took their mothers' surname Gwon (權). Yecheon Gwon clan called an Obongmun (五福門) in late Goryeo.[clarification needed]
- BoA (born Kwon Boa, 1986), South Korean actress, dancer, composer, model, singer and songwriter
- Kwon Eun-bin (born 2000), South Korean singer, member of girl group CLC
- Dean (South Korean singer) (born Kwon Hyuk, 1992), South Korean R&B singer, songwriter and producer
- Sol Bi (born Kwon Ji-an, 1984), South Korean actress and singer, former member of Typhoon
- Loco (rapper) (born Kwon Hyuk-woo, 1989), South Korean rapper
- G-Dragon (born Kwon Ji-yong, 1988), South Korean musician, leader of Big Bang
- Kwon Mina (born 1993), South Korean singer and actress, former member of AOA
- Sik-K (born Kwon Min-sik, 1994) South Korean rapper.
- Kwon Nara (born 1991), South Korean singer, member of Hello Venus
- Kwon Ri-se (1991–2014), South Korean singer, member of Ladies' Code
- Kwon Sang-woo (born 1976), South Korean actor
- Kwon So-hyun (born 1994), South Korean singer and dancer, former member of 4Minute
- Kwon So-hyun (actress) (born 1987), South Korean actress
- Yul Kwon (born 1975), American reality television star, winner of Survivor: Cook Islands
- Kwon Yul (actor) (born Kwon Se-in, 1982), South Korean actor
- Kwon Yuri (born 1989), South Korean singer and actress, member of Girls' Generation
- Edward Kwon (born Kwon Youngmin, 1971), South Korean chef, business owner, actor
- Queen Hyeondeok (1418–1441), Joseon Dynasty consort
- Gwon Yul (1537–1599), Joseon Dynasty general
- Kwon Jeong-saeng (1937–2007), South Korean children's author
- Min Kwon (Korean name Kwon Min-kyung), American pianist
- Kwon Oh-hyun, South Korean businessman, CEO of Samsung
- Kwon Chang-hoon, South Korean football player
- "Looking for Roots". Segye Ilbo (66). 21 January 2014. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
|This page lists people with the surname Kwon. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|