Kumeyaay astronomy or cosmology (Kumeyaay: My Uuyow, "sky knowledge") comprises the astronomical knowledge of the Kumeyaay people. A deeply rooted cosmological belief system was developed and followed by the Kumeyaay civilization based on this knowledge including the computing of time (Kumeyaay Mat’taam).
|Geographical range||El Vallecito|
|Period||7000 BCE - c. 1875|
The first evidence of astronomical observations and visual registration was discovered in the El Vallecito archeological zone. The "Men in a square" rupestric painting located at El Diablito area of El Vallecito depicted a square that aligns with sunlight on the Fall equinox. These paintings were made by the nomadic(?) Kumeyaay people. Kumeyaay sand paintings and rock art modeled the passage of the sun, moon, and constellations.
Observation areas were made by the Kumeyaay to watch and register astronomical events. However many were destroyed by vandals before protection measures were instituted.
- Hatotkeur (Spine of the Sky) - Milky Way
|Kwechnyay||Hunter||part of Orion|
|Hachaa||Six laughing girls||Pleiades|
|Akewli||Chaser||part of Orion|
|Emuu||Mountain sheep||Orion's Belt|
|Awi yuk||Gopher snake||Corvus/Hydra|
- Hedges, K. (1981-01-01). "Winter solstice observatory sites in Kumeyaay Territory, San Diego County, California": 151–156. Bibcode:1981aram.conf..151H.
- "Kumeyaay: Native Californians - San Diego Museum of Man". San Diego Museum of Man. Retrieved 2016-10-07.
- "El INAH identifica evento arqueoastronómico en pintura rupestre de El Vallecito (INAH identified archeoastronomic event in cave paintings at El Vallecito)". www.inah.gob.mx. Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia. Retrieved 2016-10-07.
- Ray A. Williamson (1987). Living the Sky: The Cosmos of the American Indian. University of Oklahoma Press. pp. 272–3. ISBN 978-0-8061-2034-8.
- Richard L. Carrico, (ed) Strangers in a Stolen Land: Indians of San Diego County from Prehistory to the New Deal, Sunbelt Publications, 2008, ISBN 9780932653826
- As it can be read in the information card about Kumeyaay astronomy at the San Diego Museum of Man. 2016.
- Connolly, Michael (2016). Maay Uuyow: Kumeyaay Cosmology. Alpine, California: Shuluk. p. 43. ISBN 9780692707661.