«Kukryniksy» was a collective name derived from the combined names of three caricaturists (Mikhail Kupriyanov, Михаил Васильевич Куприянов, 1903—1991), Porfiri Krylov (Порфирий Никитич Крылов, 1902—1990), and Nikolai Sokolov (Николай Александрович Соколов, 1903—2000) who had met at VKhUTEMAS, a Moscow art school, in the early 1920s. The three began drawing caricatures under the joint signature in 1924. This is not the only example of such names combination — «Grivadi Gorpozhaks» is also a collective name of writers Grigori Pozhenyan, Vasili Aksenov and Ovidi Gorchakov, but in fine arts their example is unique.
They became nationally famous in the 1930s after the rise of fascism, drawing for Krokodil, the Moscow satirical paper. They received international recognition for their attacks on Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini, Heinrich Himmler, Joseph Goebbels, and Francisco Franco. During the Second World War they established the TASS Windows for political cartoons and posters. After the end of the Second World War they continued to depict politics in their series «Cold War» (1945—1980s).
As individuals, they are also known as landscape and portrait artists.
There are more than a thousand works of the Kukryniksy in the collection of Alexandre Garese, which are now being restored and are supposed to be exhibited in Russia and France later.
- "«Для профессионала нет разницы, где строить бизнес»". Retrieved 2018-03-04.
- Кукрыниксы (1975). Втроём [Kykryniksy. Our three] (in Russian). Moscow: Советский художник.
- Абрамовский, И.П. (1977). "Кукрыниксы" [Kykryniksy]. Смех сильных. О художниках журнала «Крокодил» [Isaak Abramovsky. The laugh of powerful men. About the artist of Krokodil] (in Russian). Moscow: Искусство. pp. 83–97.
- "Kykryniksy's posters". Плакаты.Ру. Archived from the original on 17 July 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kukryniksy.|
- VADS: the online resource for visual arts - Imperial War Museum Posters of Conflict
- Biography of Krylov Porfiry, member of Kukryniksy
|This article about an illustrator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|