R. Krishnan (1909–1997) and S. Panju (1915–1984), collectively referred to as Krishnan–Panju, were Indian film directors. The duo directed more than 50 films in South Indian languages and in Hindi.
Krishnan (left) and Panju (right)
18 July 1909
24 January 1915
17 July 1997 (aged 87)
6 April 1984 (aged 69)
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
|Years active||R. Krishnan:|
S. Panju was born on 24 January 1915 as Panchapakesan in Umayalpuram near Kumbakonam, Tamil Nadu. Previously, he worked as an assistant editor under P. K. Raja Sandow and as assistant director under Ellis R. Dungan. He was also a film editor who edited films under the name Punjabi or Panjabi.
They both worked for the Tamil film Araichimani or Manuneethi Chozhan (1942), which was directed by P. K. Raja Sandow in Kandhan Studio. Krishnan and Panju became friends at this time. Later, when Raja Sandow saw their skills, he gave them his next project Poompavai. The film Poompavai (1944) was their first directorial venture. In 1947, they directed Paithiyakkaran to support N. S. Krishnan's drama troupe, when he was jailed in the Lakshmikanthan murder case. After his acquittal, N. S. Krishnan also starred in the film. In 1949, they made Nallathambi, inspired by Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, in which C. N. Annadurai, who later became the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, debuted as a script writer. In 1952, they made Parasakthi, for which the dialogues were written by M. Karunanidhi, who also later became the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu. Parasakthi became a cult film in Tamil cinema and influenced the emergence of the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam, a regional party, as a political force in Tamil Nadu. They also made Hindi films such as Bhabhi and Shaadi. They received the Kalaimamani award in 1960.
|1947||Paithiyakkaran||Tamil||N. S. K. Pictures|
|1949||Nallathambi||Tamil||NSK Films & Uma Pictures|
|1953||Kangal||Tamil||Motion Pictures Team|
|1954||Ratha Kanneer||Tamil||National Pictures|
|1955||Santhasakku||Kannada||Sri Panduranga Productions|
|1956||Kula Dheivam||Tamil||SK Pictures|
|1958||Mamiyar Mechina Marumagal||Tamil||AVM Productions|
|1964||Vazhkai Vazhvatharke||Tamil||Kamal Brothers|
|1964||Server Sundaram||Tamil||AVM Productions|
|1964||Mera Qasoor Kya Hai||Hindi|
|1965||Kuzhandaiyum Deivamum||Tamil||AVM Productions|
|1966||Petralthan Pillaiya||Tamil||Emgeeyar Pictures|
|1966||Leta Manasulu||Telugu||AVM Productions|
|1968||Do Kaliyaan||Hindi||AVM Productions|
|1968||Uyarndha Manidhan||Tamil||AVM Productions|
|1969||Annaiyum Pithavum||Tamil||AVM Productions|
|1970||Engal Thangam||Tamil||Mekala Pictures|
|1970||Anadhai Anandhan||Tamil||Muthuvel Movies|
|1971||Main Sunder Hoon||Hindi||AVM Productions|
|1971||Rangarattinam||Tamil||S. J. Films|
|1972||Pillaiyo Pillai||Tamil||Mekala Pictures|
|1972||Idhaya Veenai||Tamil||Udhayam Productions|
|1972||Akka Thamudu||Telugu||AVM Productions|
|1974||Pathu Madha Bandham||Tamil||Sri Navaneetha Films|
|1974||Kaliyuga Kannan||Tamil||Ajantha Enterprises|
|1975||Vaazhnthu Kaattugiren||Tamil||S. S. K. Films|
|1975||Anaya Vilakku||Tamil||Anjugam Pictures|
|1976||Vazhvu En Pakkam||Tamil||S. S. K. Films|
|1977||Ilaya Thalaimurai||Tamil||Yoga Chitra Productions|
|1977||Enna Thavam Seithan||Tamil||Nalantha Movies|
|1977||Chakravarthy||Tamil||P. V. T. Productions|
|1978||Per Solla Oru Pillai||Tamil||Vani Chithra Productions|
|1979||Velli Ratham||Tamil||Astalakshmi Pictures|
|1979||Neela Malargal||Tamil||Sabari Cine Creations|
|1979||Nadagame Ulagam||Tamil||Vijayambika Pictures|
|1980||Mangala Nayagi||Tamil||J. C. Chowdry Arts|
|1986||Malarum Ninaivugal||Tamil||Meenakshi Films|
- "Film director Krishnan dead". The Indian Express. 17 July 1997. Archived from the original on 26 April 2013. Retrieved 17 May 2016.CS1 maint: Unfit url (link)
- Sanjit Narwekar (1994). Directory of Indian film-makers and films. Flicks Books. p. 156.
- Randor Guy (31 July 2011). "Kuzhandaiyum Deivamum 1965". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 22 May 2018. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- Randor Guy (1 March 2014). "Araichimani or Manuneethi Chozhan (1942)". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 25 October 2016. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Manamagal 1951". The Hindu. 15 August 2008. Archived from the original on 13 March 2014. Retrieved 16 March 2014.
- "இரட்டையர்கள் கிருஷ்ணன்-பஞ்சு" (in Tamil). Nakkeeran. Archived from the original on 9 December 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "பராசக்தி உள்பட பல வெற்றிப்படங்களை இயக்கிய கிருஷ்ணன்- பஞ்சு" (in Tamil). Maalai Malar. Archived from the original on 4 March 2014. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Scripting cinema's role in politics". The Hindu. 19 June 2009. Archived from the original on 7 November 2012. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- K. Moti Gokulsing; Wimal Dissanayake (17 April 2013). Routledge Handbook of Indian Cinemas. Routledge. pp. 499–. ISBN 978-1-136-77291-7.
- Rachel Dwyer (27 September 2006). Filming the Gods: Religion and Indian Cinema. Routledge. pp. 51–. ISBN 978-1-134-38070-1.
- Poorvaja, S. (24 November 2016). "Film director Subhash dead". The Hindu. Retrieved 22 May 2018.