Kouros is a perfume for men produced by Yves Saint Laurent. The perfume was introduced in 1981. It was created by perfumer Pierre Bourdon. It is also known as "The Scent of the Gods."
|Fragrance by Yves Saint Laurent|
|Notes||Clove, Oakmoss, Incense|
|Label||Yves Saint Laurent|
|Tagline||Kouros, un parfum pour dieux vivants|
|Flanker(s)||Body Kouros, Kouros Fraicheur|
The perfume was inspired by a trip to Greece Saint Laurent had taken. He was particularly impressed by the kouroi:
J’avais été fasciné par le bleu de la mer, le ciel, la fraîcheur intense qui émanait de cet univers voué à la beauté. Dans le même temps, j’ai revu les statues de ces jeunes hommes qui sont la splendeur de la statuaire grecque. ... J’avais mon nouveau parfum. Et son nom.
(I had been fascinated by the blue of the sea, the sky, the intense freshness which emanated from this universe dedicated to beauty. At the same time, I saw the statues of these young men who are the splendor of Greek statuary . ... I had my new perfume. And its name.)
- Top notes: Aldehydes, Bergamot, Tarragon, Clary Sage, Coriander
- Heart notes: Carnation, Vetiver, Patchouli, Cinnamon, Jasmine, Orris Root, Geranium
- Base notes: Oakmoss, Amber, Incense, Honey, Leather, Civet, Musk, Tonka Bean, Vanilla
A spin-off fragrance Body Kouros was released in 2000, and Kouros Fraicheur by Yves Saint Laurent, a woody chypre fragrance was launched in 1993. Kouros is usually in the top five of all-time greatest male fragrances.
The scent has undergone many reformulations throughout the years and the modern version has been largely criticised in fragrance reviews.
After being in continual production since 1981 Kouros was taken off the Yves Saint Laurent website in 2020.
- ^ a b c Chanial, Jean-Pierre (28 July 2012). "Kouros, succès et longévité d'un hymne à la virilité imaginé par Yves Saint Laurent". Le Figaro (in French). Dassault Group. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- ^ a b Chandler Burr (21 October 2007). "What the Cat Dragged In". The New York Times. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- ^ "Kouros Debut Lacked Sweet Smell Of Success". Palm Beach Daily News. 5 March 1981. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- ^ "Güzel bir kokunun karşı konulmaz çekiciliğini kim inkar edebilir ki?". Milliyet (in Turkish). 2002. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- ^ "Kouros Fraicheur cologne for Men by Yves Saint Laurent". PerfumeMaster.com. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- ^ "Yves Saint Laurent Kouros Review (2021): Is It Still a King? - Scent Grail". 23 January 2021.
- ^ "Kouros no longer listed on YSL website".
- Kouros at Basenotes
- Body Kouros at Basenotes