Kottawa (කොට්ටාව ) is one of main city in Colombo district City of Colombo (the capital city of Sri Lanka) and is administered by the Maharagama Urban Council. It is located 21 km (13 mi) from the centre of Colombo.
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (Sri Lanka Standard Time Zone)|
The name Kottawa is derived from the Sinhalese phrase kotten awa , meaning "The city of greats" .Later the name was shortened to "Kottawa".
Kottawa town is located alongside the A4 highway connecting Colombo and Batticaloa. Kottawa town shows a potential to become a key landmark in Sri Lanka's road systems due to the development of highways.
Kottawa can be reached via A4 (Colombo - Batticaloa) highway. The northern end of the Southern Expressway is about 2 km (1.2 mi) east of Kottawa on the High Level Road (A4) and the Outer Colombo Circular Highway also extends from here towards north.
Kottawa Railway Station is located on the Kelani Valley Railway Line (which connects Colombo to Avissawella). It is situated approximately 200 m (660 ft) from Kottawa Junction along the Kottawa-Athurugiriya Road
Bus Routes heading through Kottawa:
- 99 - Colombo (Pettah) - Badulla / Passara / Welimada / Lunugala / Bibila
- 122 – Pettah - Avissawella / Rathnapura / Embilipitiya / Rakwana / Suriyawewa / Kataragama
- 124 – Maharagama – Ihala bope
- 125 – Pettah / Maharagama – Godagama /Padukka / Ingiriya
- 128/1 - Maharagama - Munamalewatta
- 138 - Pettah - Homagama
- 138/2 – Pettah - Mattegoda
- 138/3 – Pettah – Rukmalgama
- 138/4 – Pettah - Athurugiriya
- 280 – Maharagama - Horana
- E01 - Maharagama - Galle
- E01 - Maharagama - Matara
Bus Routes terminating at Kottawa
- 128 – Kiriwaththuduwa / Yakahaluwa
- 129 – Moragahahena
- 138 – Pettah
- 174 – Borella
- 255 – Mt.Lavinia
- 296 – Piliyandala
- 342 – Piliyandala (via Polgasowita)
- 336 – Malabe
- 336/1 - Malabe(via Horahena)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kottawa.|
- "Kottawa city". Lanka.info. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- "Southern Expressway from Pinnaduwa (Galle) to Godagama (Matara)". Road Development Authority. 28 March 2014. Archived from the original on 19 March 2012. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- Alwis, Harshi (8 March 2014). "Kottawa - Kaduwela Highway declared open". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
|This Western Province, Sri Lanka location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|