Kingsborough Community College
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kingsborough Community College (KBCC) is a public community college in Manhattan Beach, Brooklyn, New York. It is part of the City University of New York (CUNY) system and is the only community college in Brooklyn.
|Type||Public community college|
|President||Claudia V. Schrader|
Kingsborough was founded in 1963, and serves approximately 10,000 students. In its early years, it also had an annex, known as the "Mid-Brooklyn campus". In 2019 Leonard Riggio, the founder and chairman of Barnes & Noble book stores, donated $1 million toward scholarships for Kingsborough students.
Located in Manhattan Beach, the 71-acre (287,300 m2) campus overlooks Sheepshead Bay, Jamaica Bay, and the Atlantic Ocean. It is also located on the site of the old Sheepshead Bay Maritime Training Center for Merchant Marines, Coast Guard and Navy and the Manhattan Beach Air Force Station. The library at Kingsborough Community College is named after former City University of New York Chancellor Robert Kibbee. The 743-seat Leon M. Goldstein Performing Arts Center at Kingsborough was named in honor of Leon M. Goldstein, who was President at the college from 1971 to 1999. Kingsborough is the only college in New York City with its own private beach, which is open for swimming during the summer.
Kingsborough Community College teams participate as a member of the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA). The Wave is a member of the community college section of the City University of New York Athletic Conference (CUNYAC). Men's sports include baseball, basketball, tennis and track & field; while women's sports include basketball, tennis, track & field and volleyball.
Awards and rankingsEdit
- Kingsborough was identified as an Aspen Prize Top 4 Community Colleges by the Aspen Institute College Excellence Program in 2013
- In 2009, Kingsborough received the Diana Hacker TYCA Outstanding Program in English Award from the National Two-Year College English Association (TYCA)
- Kingsborough's "Eco-Festival" won the 2008 CUNY Sustainability Award for environmental education and advocacy
- Kingsborough received an award from the Center for Digital Education for "exceptional technology support to students and educators" in 2009
- In 2007, the college received a Brooklyn Buildings Award from the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce. The award recognizes "newly completed construction projects that have a positive impact on [Brooklyn's] economy and quality of life.
- Riddick Bowe (born 1967), world champion heavyweight boxer
- Mauriel Carty (born 1997), Anguillan sprinter
- Andrew Dice Clay (born 1957), standup comedian and actor
- Tashni-Ann Dubroy (born c. 1981), Jamaican academic and university administrator, president of Shaw University
- Pete Falcone (born 1953), New York Mets major league pitcher
- Jeff Koinange (born 1966), former CNN Africa correspondent
- Phillipe Nover (born 1984), TUF 8 finalist and UFC fighter
- Barbara Patton (born 1944), lawyer and politician
- Sid Rosenberg (born 1967), radio personality
- Larry Seabrook, former New York City Councilman
- Aesha Waks, actress
- Andrew D. Weyman, television director and producer
- Katasha Artis (born 1973), basketball player and coach
- Edward H. Bersoff, president, CEO & founder of BTG, Inc.
- Stanley G. Cohen, president of Five Towns College
- Eleanor Cory (born 1943), composer
- Craig Drennen (born 1966), artist
- Paul Goldberg, geologist
- Leon M. Goldstein (died 1999), President of Kingsborough Community College, and acting Chancellor of the City University of New York
- Victor Gorelick (born 1941), comic book editor and executive
- Dan Grimaldi (born 1952), actor on the HBO TV series The Sopranos
- Seymour P. Lachman (born 1933), professor, political historian, book author, and politician
- Ronny Lee (1927–2015), guitarist and author of music instruction publications
- Ursula Mamlok (1923–2016), composer
- David Maslanka (1943–2017), composer
- Fred Mitchell (1923–2013), New York School Abstract Expressionist artist
- Regina Peruggi (born c. 1947), President of Kingsborough Community College
- Frederic Matys Thursz (1930–1992), abstract painter
- Calvin Edouard Ward (1925-2018), concert pianist, music theorist, and educator
- Millionaire bookseller donates $1 million for Kingsborough scholarships | Brooklyn Paper
- "Robert J. Kibbee Library -- City University of New York". librarytechnology.org.
- "New York Architecture Photos: Kingsborough Community College". NewYorkitecture. March 17, 2015.
- "KCC Presidential Search Profile," CUNY.
- Kilgannon, Corey (May 21, 2008). "In Brooklyn, a College With Its Own Beach".
- "Aspen Institute: Kingsborough Community College (CUNY) Named One of Top Four Community Colleges in America by Aspen Institute; Chosen as Finalist-With-Distinction from More than 1,000 Nationwide – CUNY Newswire – CUNY".
- "Brooklyn's Kingsborough ranked third best community college in the nation".
- http://www.kbcc.cuny.edu/pr/Documents/KCC_Program_Award-4-7-09.pdf[permanent dead link]
- "Kingsborough Community College - ECO Festival".
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on June 19, 2012. Retrieved June 12, 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help)CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- The City University of New York. "CUNY Events". Archived from the original on June 20, 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Ray Johnson. "Eco-Festival: Kingsborough's Earth Tribute - Sheepshead Bay News Site". Sheepshead Bites. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved June 12, 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "2009 Digital Community Colleges Survey Winners Announced".
- http://www.kbcc.cuny.edu/pr/Documents/Village_Design_Award.pdf[permanent dead link]
- Screen World 1998 - Google Books
- "Pete Falcone Pitching Statistics". The Baseball Cube. Archived from the original on February 23, 2010. Retrieved July 28, 2010. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Kingsborough Community College". Kbcc.cuny.edu. May 16, 2003. Archived from the original on September 6, 2010. Retrieved July 28, 2010. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- The Ultimate Fighter: Team Nogueira Vs. Team Mir- Finals Are Set | Ufc
- You're Wrong and You're Ugly: The Highs and Lows of a Radio Bad Boy by Sidney Rosenberg
- Education Update - President Regina S. Peruggi, Kingsborough Community College