Kevin Lima (born June 12, 1962) is an American film director who has directed a number of Disney films including his debut film A Goofy Movie in 1995, Tarzan (1999), 102 Dalmatians (2000), and Enchanted (2007). He is married to Brenda Chapman, the head of story of The Lion King (1994) and co-director of The Prince of Egypt (1998) and Brave (2012).
|Born||June 12, 1962|
Pawtucket, Rhode Island, U.S.
|Alma mater||California Institute of the Arts|
|Occupation||Film director, animator, character designer|
|Known for||A Goofy Movie|
Life and careerEdit
Lima studied film and animation at the California Institute of the Arts, during the mid-80's. After graduation, he went to Taiwan for half a year to work on The Brave Little Toaster. Then he worked on The Chipmunk Adventure, where he met Glen Keane, one of many artists, who had left Disney after The Black Cauldron's box office failure. Keane persuaded Lima to apply at Disney, where he got a job, despite the fact that he was turned down three years earlier. Lima worked at Disney as character animator on the film Oliver & Company, as a character designer on The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, and as a story editor for Aladdin. Wanting to direct, he left Disney for Hyperion Pictures, where he worked on TV series Itsy Bitsy Spider and films such as Bébé's Kids.
Lima finally got his opportunity to direct at Disney, where he directed two animated films, A Goofy Movie, and Tarzan. Wanting to direct live-action films, Lima once again left Disney, but soon returned. Thanks to Glenn Close, who voiced Kala in Tarzan, Lima was offered to direct her on 102 Dalmatians, which had just lost its director. After directing his first live action film, he went on to direct two TV films starring Julie Andrews, Eloise at the Plaza and Eloise at Christmastime. Since 2000, Lima had wanted to make the film Enchanted, but he was repeatedly turned down because of the script being too dark, and that he was not "funny enough to do this film". The toned down script finally got green-lit, and in 2007 Enchanted was released to a positive critical reception.
Since directing Enchanted, Lima has been set to direct several projects including a live-action feature adaptation of the classic tale of Tom Thumb entitled Thumb, a film based on the popular Candy Land board game, a remake of the 1964 film The Incredible Mr. Limpet, a comedy film starring Hugh Jackman titled Avon Man, and an untitled live-action/CG film for Sony Pictures Animation. In July 2011, DreamWorks Animation announced that Lima will direct Bollywood Superstar Monkey, a Bollywood-style animated musical adventure inspired by the Indian epic tale Ramayana, and told through the point of view of its monkeys. A. R. Rahman is composing the music and Stephen Schwartz is writing the lyrics for the film. In September 2012, it was announced that the film would be released on December 19, 2015, but was half a year later rescheduled to March 18, 2016. In June 2014, the release date was pushed back to March 10, 2017. In January 2015, it was confirmed that the film was placed back into development with no release date attached.
|1995||A Goofy Movie||53%|
|1999||Tarzan||Co-director with Chris Buck||88%|
|2003||Eloise at the Plaza|
|Eloise at Christmastime|
|1987||Sport Goofy in Soccermania|
|The Brave Little Toaster||75%|
|1988||Oliver & Company||43%|
|1989||The Little Mermaid||92%|
|1990||The Rescuers Down Under||68%|
|1991||Beauty and the Beast||93%|
- Vigil, Delfin (November 18, 2007). "Fairy tale unfolds in the gritty city". SFGate. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
But much like "Enchanted," the new animation-live-action hybrid film he just finished directing, the 45-year-old Rhode Island native doesn't exactly fit the Disney mold.
- Roberts, Jerry (2009). Encyclopedia of Television Film Directors. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press. p. 338. ISBN 978-0-8108-6138-1.
- "Annual Dinner - Disney Movie Director, Conway Tours & Journalists to be recognized by the Blackstone Valley Tourism Council on September 27". Blacksone Valley Tourism Council. 2007. Archived from the original on January 9, 2014. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- Vespe, Eric (December 14, 2007). "Quint dreams about Disney princesses with ENCHANTED director Kevin Lima!!!". Ain't It Cool News. Retrieved September 21, 2011.
- McNary, Dave (October 7, 2008). "WB, Red Wagon developing 'Thumb'". Variety. Retrieved September 18, 2011.
- Fleming, Michael (February 4, 2009). "'Candy Land' coming to bigscreen". Variety. Retrieved September 18, 2011.
- Goldberg, Matt (June 11, 2009). "ENCHANTED Director Kevin Lima Swims With THE INCREDIBLE MR. LIMPET". Collider.com. Retrieved September 18, 2011.
- Goldberg, Matt (February 17, 2010). "ENCHANTED Helmer Kevin Lima to Direct Hugh Jackman in AVON MAN". Collider.com. Retrieved September 18, 2011.
- Kroll, Justin (January 18, 2011). "Sony Animation buys 'Enchanted' helmer's pitch". Variety. Retrieved September 18, 2011.
- "Kevin Lima". LinkedIn. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "Dave Weatherly". Animation Mentor. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "Kevin Lima to Direct "Monkeys of Mumbai" (Working Title) at DreamWorks Animation" (Press release). DreamWorks Animation SKG, Inc. July 20, 2011. Archived from the original on October 12, 2014. Retrieved July 20, 2011.
- DreamWorks Animation (September 9, 2012). "New Distributor Twentieth Century Fox Unveils DreamWorks Animation's Release Slate Through 2016". DreamWorks Animation. Archived from the original on October 12, 2013. Retrieved September 10, 2012.
- Eisenberg, Eric (April 9, 2013). "Kung Fu Panda 3 Moves Up To 2015, Bryan Cranston, Mads Mikkelsen And Rebel Wilson Sign On". CinemBlend.com. Retrieved April 10, 2013.
- Ford, Rebecca (June 12, 2014). "'Puss in Boots 2,' 'Croods 2' 'Madagascar 4' Get Release Dates". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- Graser, Marc (January 22, 2015). "Jeffrey Katzenberg on DWA's Cutbacks: '3 Films a Year Was Too Ambitious'". Variety. Retrieved January 22, 2015.