Kevin Kennedy (actor)
Kevin Kennedy (born Kevin Patrick Williams, 4 September 1961) is an English actor and musician, best known for playing the character Curly Watts for 20 years in ITV's long-running television soap opera Coronation Street.
Kevin Patrick Williams
4 September 1961
|Occupation||Actor and musician|
Between 1983-2003, Kennedy played the character of Norman "Curly" Watts in the TV soap Coronation Street. Among other jobs, the character started as a paperboy, then became a dustman, and was later an assistant manager at a supermarket. The character had two marriages, producing two children; one from each wife. After a short break from acting whilst recovering from an alcohol addiction in 2000, he released a single, Bulldog Nation, with his band the Bunch of Thieves, on the RCA Records label. The single peaked at #70 on the UK Singles Chart.
He returned to Coronation Street a few months later, before being written out permanently in September 2003. In an interview in 2009, Kennedy said that he would consider a return to the show and it was later confirmed that he would film scenes for its fiftieth anniversary DVD. However, more than a decade after his departure, he has yet to make a return. Kennedy was the writer and producer of the 2005 television series Spanish Capers. A second series was recorded in 2006-07 for Sky Television plc.
In 2009, Kennedy played the part of ageing hippie "Pop" in the touring production of Ben Elton's We Will Rock You before joining the cast of the West End London production in 2010. In 2015, Kennedy was asked to be involved with the launch of the world's third-largest cruise liner "Anthem of the Seas" appearing in a West End production of "We Will Rock You".[according to whom?]
He also appeared in the 2009 "Scent from Heaven?" advert for Daz, as part of the company's "Cleaner Close" campaign. In 2010, Kennedy, along with several other Coronation Street stars, contributed to Trisha Ward's album Rogues, Angels, Heroes and Fools, recorded for the fiftieth anniversary of the soap. In 2017, he played Graham Ollerinshaw, a David Bowie tribute act, in an episode of the BBC's Holby City.
Kennedy is married and has three children. A supporter of Manchester City, he serves as director of Kennedy St recovery services, a social enterprise, with his wife Clare, the Brighton-based organisation's CEO, offering free telephone advice, signposting to local recovery services, home-based detox, various recovery focused programs and a professional advice & coaching service to the business sector.
|1983||Dear Ladies||Boy in photo booth|
|1983–2003||Coronation Street||Curly Watts|
|1984||Keep on Running||Pete Bennett|
|2006||Blue Murder||Donny McAvoy|
|2010||Coronation Street: A Knights Tale||Curly Watts|
|2017||Holby City||Graham Ollerinshaw|
|2018-2019||Rock of Ages||Dennis Dupree|
|2010||Rogues, Heroes, Angels & Fools|
- Johnny Maher fansite
- Blyth, Gavin (20 February 2000). "I was a washed-up alcoholic soap star until the day I started". Sunday Mirror. Archived from the original on 24 February 2011.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 299. ISBN 978-1-904994-10-7.
- Published Tuesday, Apr 14 2009, 19:46 BST (14 April 2009). "Kennedy: 'I'd like to return to Corrie' - Coronation Street News - Soaps". Digital Spy. Retrieved 19 April 2013.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Ken Morley and Kevin Kennedy to return to Coronation Street | Unreality TV". Primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk. 2 August 2010. Archived from the original on 1 October 2011. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "Get ready to go Ga Ga over We Will Rock You". Sunderland Echo. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "Sniffing out white lies and dirty laundry - in Cleaner Close". Dazwhite.co.uk. Archived from the original on 10 May 2013. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- "Coronation Street - Rogues, Angels, Heroes and Fools - The Making of". YouTube. 21 December 2010. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- "Kevin Kennedy". LinkedIn. Retrieved 18 April 2018.