Kerry Arthur Hickey (born 6 April 1960), a former Australian politician, was a member of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly representing the electorate of Cessnock between 1999 and 2011 for the Labor Party.
|Member of the |
New South Wales Legislative Assembly for Cessnock
27 March 1999 – 26 March 2011
|Preceded by||Stan Neilly|
|Succeeded by||Clayton Barr|
Kerry Arthur Hickey
6 April 1960
|Political party||Labor Party|
|Occupation||Metal fabricator, milk vendor|
Early years and backgroundEdit
On 7 November 2006, he admitted to having been fined four times in recent years for speeding:
- $590 in October 2006 for being more than 30 kilometres per hour (19 mph) over the limit
- $225 in August 2005 for being more than 15 kilometres per hour (9.3 mph) over the limit
- $127 in 2003
- $118 in 2002
- I'm disappointed that it happened. Like any other motorist, no one is above the law, whether you are a minister, a member of Parliament or a member of the general public. He has apologised, I've accepted that. Is it a sackable offence? No, but I am very disappointed that it has happened. He's suffering public humiliation as a result.
In an interview with the Newcastle Herald, published on 10 July 2010, Hickey claimed that he was not the father of a child born in February 2009 to an unnamed parliamentary staff member. A month later, on further questioning by the media, Hickey admitted that he had lied about his relationship with the parliamentary staff member and admitted that the 18-month-old child was his. In a dramatic day of lying about his relationship, Hickey initially decided to resign, but after speaking with the Premier Kristina Keneally, he issued a statement stating that he would be seeking re-election. Hickey's initial claims were made in order to protect the mother's career and his family.
- "The Hon. Kerry Arthur Hickey". Former Members of the Parliament of New South Wales. Retrieved 16 June 2019.
- Phillip, Hudson (12 February 2010). "I'm no serial speeder, says minister". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 16 November 2006.
- McCarthy, Joanne (10 July 2010). "MP denies fathering baby to parliamentary staff member". Newcastle Herald. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
- McCarthy, Joanne (18 August 2010). "Of course, I lied: MP lives to fight another day after admitting friend's baby is his". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 18 August 2010.
- Clennell, Andrew (19 August 2010). "Secret love child exposes Labor MP Kerry Hickey". The Daily Telegraph. Australia. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
- Clennell, Andrew (6 September 2010). "Cheating MP Kerry Hickey drops out as Kristina Keneally turns in to a pink Wiggle". The Daily Telegraph. Australia. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
|New South Wales Legislative Assembly|
| Member for Cessnock
1999 – 2011
| Minister for Local Government
2005 – 2007