Kensington is a Business Revitalization Zone (BRZ) in Calgary, Alberta, focused around the intersection of Kensington Road and 10th St. NW, also known as the Kensington-Louise Crossing Business Association. It is located in the communities of Hillhurst and Sunnyside, immediately north of downtown and the Bow River, and is easily reached by most of the city's major access routes.
Kensington is a lively area with many independent shops, restaurants and pubs.
The surrounding Hillhurst area was owned by the Canadian Pacific Railway and pioneer rancher Ezra Riley at the beginning of the 20th century, when Riley Park was used for horse pasture. The oldest commercial buildings still standing date from before the First World War.
Diagon Alley In KensingtonEdit
In 2017 and 2018 businesses in the Kensington area transformed themselves into shop replicating those seen in Diagon Alley from the Harry Potter series. The event takes place in July and is open to the public for free.
Within the City of Calgary, Kensington is an area that houses over 200 unique businesses and services, in addition to a significant number of historical sites. This makes Kensington both a popular inner city district for many local Calgarians, as well as popular destination for shopping and accessing trendy and niche services within the city. Much of this popularity is generated not only by the shops and services, but by the popular and trendy restaurants that are situated within the district.
- Visit Kensington. "Kensington Village". Retrieved 2007-04-27.
- Where magazine (November 2005). "Kensington neighborhood". Archived from the original on 2007-02-10. Retrieved 2007-04-27.
- Hynes, Hayley (July 10, 2017). "This Calgary Neighbourhood Is Turning Into Diagon Alley For A Day And It's Going To Be Magical". Narcity. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- "Kensington Neighbourhood Guide | Tourism Calgary". www.visitcalgary.com. Retrieved 2021-04-21.
- "Kensington | Shopping, Dining & Entertainment District". Retrieved 2021-04-21.