Simmons reporting from the Parsons Green bombing
22 February 1972 |
London, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||Goldsmiths College (University of London)|
Early life and educationEdit
Simmons was born in London, England and grew up in Bristol. He was educated at Wellsway School, a state comprehensive school in the town of Keynsham in Somerset in South West England, followed by Goldsmiths College, a constituent college of the University of London, where he obtained a Bachelor's degree. He has one sister, actress Mika Simmons.
Keir Simmons is a Foreign Correspondent for NBC News. He appears regularly on internationally known news programmes including the TODAY show and NBC Nightly News. In 25 years of journalism Keir moved from radio to local television, ultimately becoming the UK Editor of ITV News. He has a track record of exclusives, and has interviewed world leaders and some of the most recognised figures in Hollywood. In recent years Keir has covered almost every major world story including Europe’s wave of terror attacks, the Trump Russia scandal, the selection of Pope Francis and the 2016 Olympic games. 
Simmons joined ITN as a reporter for IRN in 1996, before becoming a sometime general reporter on its ITV News service in 1998. While remaining with the organization he intermittently worked for Sky News, 5 News and ITV London's London Tonight. On 30 September 2010, it was announced that he would be promoted from crime correspondent to UK editor.
In 2013 Simmons covered the resignation of Pope Benedict and selection of Pope Francis's for NBC's TODAY from Rome.
In 2014 Simmons covered the Sochi Winter Olympics for NBC.
In November 2015 he covered the Paris terror attacks.
In July 2016 he was nominated for an Emmy award in the category 'Outstanding Coverage of a Breaking News Story in a News Magazine' for his contribution to a Dateline NBC special 'Terror in Paris'.
In July 2017 he was nominated for an Emmy award in the category 'Outstanding Coverage of a Breaking News Story in a News Magazine' for his contribution to a TODAY Show special 'Terror in Brussels'.
Simmons additionally works as a facilitator of live debates and events.
- "Keir Simmons - Biography and Images". TV Newsroom. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Mika Simmons". IMDb. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- Staff (30 September 2010). "Confirmed: ITV UK Editor Announced". TV Newsroom. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "ITV News appoints Keir Simmons as its new UK editor". Press Gazette. Archived from the original on 11 February 2016. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- Staff (undated). LTW – Annual Programme Statement 2003 and Programme Review 2002 (PDF format). London Weekend Television (via Ofcom). Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Keir Simmons Joins NBC News as London-Based Correspondent". Broadway World. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Papal Conclave Coverage: Broadcast and Cable Networks". www.adweek.com. Retrieved 29 October 2017.
- "Terror Attacks in Paris". www.adweek.com. Retrieved 29 October 2017.
- "Networks Send Anchors, Correspondents to Brussels in Wake of Terror Attacks". www.adweek.com. Retrieved 29 October 2017.
- "NBC NEWS GOES BIG FOR 2016 RIO OLYMPICS WITH 'TODAY' AND 'NBC NIGHTLY NEWS WITH LESTER HOLT' LIVE FROM BRAZIL STARTING AUGUST 1 - NBCUniversal Media Village". nbcumv.com. Retrieved 29 October 2017.
- "Keir Simmons - Biography and Images". TV Newsroom. Retrieved 21 March 2017.