Kathleen Matthews (biochemist)
Kathleen "Kathy" Matthews is an American biochemist specializing in DNA/protein interactions. She is the Stewart Memorial Professor of BioSciences at Rice University.
Matthews is Stewart Memorial Professor in BioSciences at Rice University and a founding member of the Biochemistry department, which later merged to become the BioSciences department. She received a B.S. in chemistry from the University of Texas at Austin in 1966 and went on to get her PhD in biochemistry from the University of California, Berkley in 1970. After working as a postdoctoral fellow at Stanford university, she joined the faculty at Rice as an assistant professor in Biochemistry 1977 before becoming department chair and the dean of the Wiess School of Natural Sciences 1987 and 1998, respectively.
In 1996 she was elected a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. In 2010, Matthews was honored as a Women in Science with Excellence honoree for her role in the Biochemistry department at Rice. She received the William C. Rose Award in 2015 for her work in DNA-binding proteins and her commitment to mentoring young scientists.
- Manly, Susan P.; Matthews, Kathleen S.; Sturtevant, Julian M. (1985). "Thermal denaturation of the core protein of lac repressor". Biochemistry. 24 (15): 3842–3846. doi:10.1021/bi00336a004. ISSN 0006-2960. PMID 3902076.
- Matthews, K. S. (1992). "DNA looping". Microbiological Reviews. 56 (1): 123–136. doi:10.1128/MMBR.56.1.123-136.1992. PMC 372857. PMID 1579106.
- Chen, J.; Matthews, K. S. (1992). "Deletion of lactose repressor carboxyl-terminal domain affects tetramer formation". Journal of Biological Chemistry. 267 (20): 13843–13850. PMID 1629185.
- Wycuff, Diane R.; Matthews, Kathleen S. (2000). "Generation of an AraC-araBAD Promoter-Regulated T7 Expression System". Analytical Biochemistry. 277 (1): 67–73. doi:10.1006/abio.1999.4385. ISSN 0003-2697. PMID 10610690.
- Wilson, C. J.; Zhan, H.; Swint-Kruse, L.; Matthews, K. S. (2006). "The lactose repressor system: paradigms for regulation, allosteric behavior and protein folding". Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences. 64 (1): 3–16. doi:10.1007/s00018-006-6296-z. ISSN 1420-682X. PMID 17103112.
- Liu, Y.; Matthews, K. S.; Bondos, S. E. (2008). "Multiple Intrinsically Disordered Sequences Alter DNA Binding by the Homeodomain of the Drosophila Hox Protein Ultrabithorax". Journal of Biological Chemistry. 283 (30): 20874–20887. doi:10.1074/jbc.M800375200. ISSN 0021-9258. PMC 2475714. PMID 18508761.
- Swint-Kruse, Liskin; Matthews, Kathleen S (2009). "Allostery in the LacI/GalR family: variations on a theme". Current Opinion in Microbiology. 12 (2): 129–137. doi:10.1016/j.mib.2009.01.009. ISSN 1369-5274. PMC 2688824. PMID 19269243.
- "History of Biochemistry & Cell Biology at Rice". Rice University. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Kathleen Matthews: Rice University Department of BioSciences". Rice University. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Matthews KS[Author] - PubMed - NCBI". Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. 2017-02-03. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- Meier, Elizabeth (March 2015). "William C. Rose Award. Matthews recognized for 'total lack of selfishness, her openness and frankness'". ASBMB Today. American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
- "Kathleen Matthews, Ph.D." Women in Science with Excellence (WISE) - Texas. Retrieved 27 April 2017.