Katie Irene "Kate" Gosselin (née Kreider; born March 28, 1975) is an American television personality. She achieved national and international recognition on the US reality TV show Jon & Kate Plus 8, in which she and Jon Gosselin were profiled as they raised their atypical family of sextuplets and twins.
Gosselin in 2008
Katie Irene Kreider
March 28, 1975
|Residence||Wernersville, Pennsylvania, U.S.|
|Education||The Reading Hospital and Medical Center|
|Occupation||Television personality, author, former nurse|
|Known for||Jon & Kate Plus 8|
Kate Plus 8
Kate Plus date
(m. 1999; div. 2009)
|Website||Kate+ my 8|
Katie Irene Kreider, who is of German, Scottish, and English descent, was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Charlene (née Kolak) and Kenton Kreider, a pastor. The third of five children, she has three sisters, Kendra, Christen and Clairissa, and one brother, Kevin.
Kreider became a registered nurse after completing a diploma program at the Reading Hospital and Medical Center in Reading, Pennsylvania. She then worked as a labor and delivery nurse in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania.
Kreider met Jon Gosselin at a company picnic on October 5, 1997. They were married on June 12, 1999, and on October 8, 2000, she gave birth to twin girls, Cara Nicole and Madelyn "Maddy" Kate, who were premature at 35 weeks gestation. Gosselin became pregnant through fertility treatment because polycystic ovary syndrome left her unable to conceive otherwise. After further treatments, Gosselin became pregnant again and, on May 10, 2004, in Hershey, Pennsylvania, at the Penn State Hershey Medical Center, she gave birth to sextuplets: sons Aaden Jonathan, Collin Thomas and Joel Kevin, and daughters Alexis Faith, Hannah Joy and Leah Hope. She gave birth at just shy of 30 weeks gestation. The sextuplets were born 10 weeks premature, which is common in the multiple births resulting from fertility treatments. The early birth required the six infants to be placed on ventilators.
Following the birth of the sextuplets, the Gosselins were featured in the NBC reality TV show Home Delivery when their home in Wyomissing was renovated to accommodate the large family.
The family was then featured in a special on Discovery Health in September 2005 entitled Surviving Sextuplets and Twins. A year later they were featured in another special entitled Sextuplets and Twins: One Year Later. With high ratings from the specials, Discovery Health signed the couple to a reality series which began airing in April 2007, called Jon & Kate Plus 8, documenting their lives. To produce the show, the family was filmed three or four days per week and the shows first two seasons aired on Discovery Health Channel before moving to The Learning Channel (TLC). The family received payment for appearing on the show.
Jon and Kate announced on the June 22, 2009 episode of the show that they were separating. However, the two had met with Pennsylvania attorneys on the day that the episode aired to finalize plans for divorce rather than separation. They stated that their eight children will remain in their Pennsylvania home, and the two of them will move back and forth to accommodate the custody agreement. In separate interviews, they stated that the show would continue; however, TLC announced on June 23, 2009, that the show would be placed on hiatus effective immediately. According to TLC, Jon and Kate had moved the focus away from the family and the change in the dynamic, as well as the production difficulties that had occurred because the couple was no longer living together, made it unclear whether the show was still viable.
On August 13, 2009, the police were called to the Gosselin family home in Wernersville, Pennsylvania after the couple were engaged in a verbal fight. Kate arrived at the home during Jon's scheduled time with their children because she did not approve of the babysitter he was using. No arrests were made and no charges were filed against either party.
Since the divorce, Kate has had a contentious relationship with her ex-husband, which has repeatedly made headlines. Kate announced in August 2016 that she enrolled Collin in a program to help him with his "special needs". On August 22, 2017, the police were called to an orthodontist's office in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania after Jon and Kate got into a custody dispute over one of their sextuplet daughters. It was reported that either Jon or Kate took their then 13-year-old daughter to the orthodontist and the argument erupted over who would be taking her home. No one was arrested, and in the end, the daughter went home with Jon while Kate was referred to Berks County District Attorney's office for a more clear interpretation of the child custody agreement. It was later reported that the sextuplet daughter involved in the dispute may have been Hannah.
In August 2018, Jon revealed in an Instagram live video that Hannah "permanently" lives with him, as there has been an ongoing custody battle with Kate over their daughter. It was reported that in April 2018, a judge ruled in favor of Jon having custody of Hannah, which prompted Kate to appeal this decision on May 4, 2018. The judge denied the appeal on June 14, 2018 as Kate "did not present legal argument to justify this Court's jurisdiction," according to court documents.
On October 24, 2018, Jon and his attorney filed papers for physical and legal custody of Collin. They claimed that it would be in Collin's best interest to live with his father upon his release from the inpatient center Kate enrolled him in. On December 4, 2018, Jon won sole physical and legal custody of Collin, as Kate and her attorney failed to appear. It was reported on December 26, 2018 that Collin was released from the inpatient center and returned home with Jon for good. While Hannah and Collin now live with Jon, the other six children still live with Kate. As of 2018, Kate and her ex-husband are no longer in communication, except through their attorneys.
On September 29, 2009, TLC announced the title of the show would be changed from Jon & Kate Plus 8 to Kate Plus 8 and would follow Gosselin as a divorced mother. Jon would continue to appear, albeit infrequently, on the show. The last episode was a season five finale on November 23, 2009, because of Jon's decision to stop filming. Reruns of the show still air on TLC.
Gosselin filmed a talk show pilot with Paula Deen in September 2009. By the end of 2009, it had not been picked up by a television network. In late December 2009 it was also announced that Gosselin was no longer being considered for a role in the planned show because she was deemed "too controversial" by show executives. Gosselin was a contestant on the tenth season of the television show Dancing With The Stars and had expressed a strong desire to remain on the show and win despite widespread criticism of her dancing. She was partnered with Tony Dovolani. She was eliminated from the competition in its fifth week on April 20, 2010.
In April 2010 TLC announced Gosselin would be getting her own show called Twist of Kate. The series will feature her traveling the country, visiting mothers who have written her letters about their stories. TLC has a new series of specials planned called Kate Plus 8. An unknown source told Life and Style magazine that Twist of Kate and her other reality specials had been cancelled; however, season 2 of Kate Plus 8 premiered on November 28, 2010. TLC's reps and Gosselin have denied the Life and Style's claims, saying that neither show has been cancelled.
Shortly after Gosselin was eliminated from Dancing With the Stars, rumors began flying that she would be featured on the upcoming edition of the popular TV show The Bachelorette. Several people denied this, including the show's creator, Mike Fleiss, and a representative for TLC, although they did say that it would be interesting to place her in the show.
In August 2011, it was announced that Kate Plus 8 would not be returning to TLC in September. The final episode of the show aired on September 12, 2011.
On March 19, 2014, it was announced that Kate and her eight would return in a reunion special, scheduled to air in June.
In August 2014, it was announced that Kate Plus 8 would return for another season on January 13, 2015 on TLC.
Season 5 of Kate Plus 8 premiered November 22, 2016 on TLC.
Season 6, with three episodes, started July 10, 2017.
After Season 6, Jon had a custody battle over two of their eight children, he ended up taking Collin and Hannah ; They decide to stop filming the show.
Kate wasn’t done in the entertainment world, In May 2019 almost two years after Kate plus eight they announced Kate was going to have a new dating show called “Kate Plus Date” that would air June 10, 2019 on TLC.
Gosselin has written three non-fiction books. Her first book, written with Jon Gosselin and Beth Carson, was published in November 2008, titled: Multiple Blessings. It debuted at number five on The New York Times Best Sellers list and sold over 500,000 copies by the end of 2009. Her second book, Eight Little Faces, was released in April 2009 and also debuted at number five on The New York Times Best Sellers list. Her third book, titled I Just Want You To Know, was released on April 13, 2010, selling approximately 10,000 copies in its first week and debuting at number 103 on The New York Times Best Sellers list.
- Multiple Blessings (November 1, 2008)
- Eight Little Faces (April 2009)
- I Just Want You to Know (April 13, 2010)
- Love Is in the Mix (September 4, 2013)
|2005||Surviving Sextuplets and Twins||Herself||One-hour special|
|2006||Sextuplets and Twins: One Year Later|
|2007–2017||Jon & Kate Plus 8 / Kate Plus 8||Reality series|
|2008||Say Yes to the Dress||One episode|
|2010||Dancing with the Stars||Competitive reality series|
|2013||Celebrity Wife Swap||One episode|
|2014||Kate Plus Eight: Sextuplets Turn 10||2 One-hour specials|
|2014||The Apprentice (U.S. season 14)||Competitive reality series|
|2019||Kate Plus Date||Reality Dating Series|
- Burgess, Michael; Burgess, Mary Wickizer (2009). The House of the Burgesses. Wildside Press LLC. p. 416–. ISBN 978-0-89370-479-7.
- Silverman, Stephen (December 18, 2009). "Jon & Kate Gosselin Divorced!". People. Time Inc. Retrieved December 18, 2009.
- Fuller, Bonnie. "Kate Gosselin Celeb Profile". Hollywood Life. PMC. Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- Remo, Jessica. "SHOW BIZ: JON + KATE + 8=$$$". Philadelphia Magazine. Retrieved March 25, 2009.
- Neal, Rome (May 14, 2004). "Couple Finds Joy Of Sextuplets". CBS News. Retrieved March 29, 2009.
- Boodman, Sandra G. "For This Brood, It's Chaos Times 8". Washington Post.com. Retrieved March 25, 2009.
- "Gosselin Divorce Papers Filed". People. Retrieved June 22, 2009.
- Jon and Kate Plus 8 episode 98 "Houses & Big Changes" season 8 episode 6, originally transmitted Monday June 25, 2009
- "Cops Called to Jon and Kate's Place". CBS News. CBS Interactive Inc. Retrieved December 21, 2016.
- "Argument draws police to Jon & Kate's house". TODAY.com. NBCNEWS.com. Retrieved December 21, 2016.
- Gosselin divorce: Judge finalises reality stars' split, BBC News, December 19, 2009. Retrieved March 1, 2010.
- Dale, Maryclaire. Jon, Kate Gosselin divorce final, Toronto Star, December 21, 2009. Retrieved March 1, 2010.
- Bueno, Antoinette. "Kate Gosselin Admits She's 'Messed Up' in the Past, Says Her 'Ex-Husband Doesn't See the Value in Uplifting His Children'". ET Online. CBS Television Distribution. Retrieved December 23, 2016.
- Ng, Philiana. "EXCLUSIVE: Jon Gosselin Reacts to Kate and His Twins' 'Shocking' Tell-All: 'I'm Very Upset'". ET Online. CBS Television Distribution. Retrieved December 23, 2016.
- Stone, Natalie. "Police Called on Jon and Kate Gosselin over Verbal Custody Dispute at Orthodontist's Office". People. Meredith Corporation. Retrieved July 10, 2018.
- Rogers, Chris. "Kate Gosselin's Heart 'Rocked' During Custody Battle With Jon: Not Going Down 'Without A Fight'". HollywoodLife. Penske Business Media, LLC. Retrieved July 12, 2018.
- Peart, Tanvier. "New Details Emerge About Kate Gosselin's Fight to Take Back Custody of Hannah From Jon". cafemom. RockYou Media. Retrieved November 5, 2018.
- Jacob, Mary; Bacchiocchi, Gina. "Kate's Nightmare: Ex Jon Gosselin Files For Full Custody Of Troubled Son Collin". Radar Online. Radar Online, LLC. Retrieved November 20, 2018.
- "Jon & Kate Gosselin's Son Collin Returns Home From Treatment For Good". RadarOnline. Radar Online, LLC. Retrieved December 26, 2018.
- Harding, Amanda. "Where Is Kate Gosselin Now? Here's What Her Current Life Is Like". CheatSheet. The Cheat Sheet. Retrieved February 10, 2019.
- France, Lisa. "Jon Gosselin says he and Kate are still fighting over custody". CNN. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. Retrieved December 15, 2018.
- "'Jon & Kate Plus 8' to dump Jon, become 'Kate Plus 8'". The Star Ledger - NJ.com. Retrieved September 29, 2009.
- Herald Wire Services. Kate Gosselin canned from new TV gig, Boston Herald, December 24, 2009. Retrieved March 1, 2010.
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Celebrity and Professional Pairs Revealed!, ABC News, March 2, 2010. Retrieved March 2, 2010.
- "Kate Gosselin Won't Quit Dancing with the Stars – Erin Andrews Vows to Continue, Win". National Ledger. April 12, 2010. Retrieved April 14, 2010.
- Breann e L. Heldman (April 8, 2010). "Kate Plus 8 Returns! Gosselin Lands New TLC Show and Specials". E! Online. Retrieved February 5, 2012.
- Has Kate Gosselin's Show 'Twist of Kate' Been Canceled? Hollywood Life
- Kate Gosselin Confirms Shows Not Cancelled Archived November 11, 2011, at the Wayback Machine Gather
- Schwartz, Missy (June 16, 2010). "Kate Gosselin as the next Bachelorette? Please spare us the pain". popwatch.ew.com. Retrieved September 27, 2010.
- "Kate Gosselin Returns to Co-Host The View". UsMagazine.com.
- "News – Kate Gosselin's New Book Bombs – Celebrity News". UsMagazine.com. Retrieved September 27, 2010.