|Born||2 December 1846|
|Died||17 April 1875 (aged 28)|
|Academic advisors||Friedrich Karl Theodor Zarncke|
|Sub-discipline||Old Norse studies|
Hildebrand studied history and philology at the University of Leipzig, where he was a pupil of Friedrich Karl Theodor Zarncke. In 1871 he earned his PhD at Leipzig with a thesis titled, Über die Conditionalsätze und ihre Conjunctionen in der älteren Edda. In 1873 he qualified as a lecturer of German philology at the University of Halle with the thesis, Versteilung in den Eddaliedern.
His best written effort was an edition of Die lieder der Älteren Edda (Sæmundar Edda). Unfinished at the time of Hildebrand's death in 1875 (age 28), it was completed by Theodor Möbius (from page 257) during the following year.
- Google Books Leipziger Zeitung
- Moniteur des dates, contenant un million de renseignements ..., Volume 1 by Eduard Maria Oettinger
- OCLC WorldCat Die versteilung in den Eddaliedern
- Projekt Runeberg Nordisk familjebok
- HathiTrust Digital Library published works